1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

01 expedition intermittently starts

Discussion in 'Electrical | Starting, Charging, Batteries & Lamps' started by Dustinmyles25, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Dustinmyles25

Dustinmyles25 New Member

Hey guys, bought my wife an 01 expi 5.4L awd 180,000 and about two weeks after that we had our first starting issue, it turns over really strong, most of the time no sputtering while cranking. But no start. Try turning key on and off for 10 min or so and most of the time it'll start . One thing I've noticed recently is when it's not starting I'm not hearing the fuel pump come on, and after a while of turning the key on and off I'll hear the pump come on and then it starts.

I know this sounds like a fuel pump possibly going bad, but it's been a year now of this same issue. And it didn't happen even once all summer, only once it got a little colder.

Would a fuel pump be going bad for a period this long? I mean wouldn't it have kicked the bucket already? Is there something else I should look at before replacing the fuel pump, like something that might not be telling the fuel pump to turn on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Have you tried changing the engine temp control sensor?
    Dustinmyles25 likes this.
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Is the check engine light on?
    If yes post codes
    When was the fuel filter replaced last?

When there is a no start check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail via Schrader valve. If 30 PSI or so with engine off that would be goo enough to rule the pumps out.
    Since we don't know your location (you didn't complete your profile) what do you mean by a little cooler? 50 degrees 30 degrees or??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. Dustinmyles25

Dustinmyles25 New Member

Nope havnt tried that
  5. Dustinmyles25

Dustinmyles25 New Member

Thanks for the reply, no check engine light has ever come on. Took it to a shop and had them check the codes. Nothing major for codes.
    Ive only had the truck for a year and I havnt done the fuel filter yet. Once it starts it runs great, absolutely no issues while running so I was thinking the filter should be good.
    I'm up in Canada so it would start having its issue at around -5 Celsius. But sometimes it would be -30 and it would start fine. So I'm not sure how much the temp affects it.

Also tried the other key as i though the PATS system might not be reading the key, but there was no codes saying we tried to start without a chipped key so I'm thinking that system is working.

I will give the fuel pressure a check.
  6. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

If that is bad it tell the computer when to kick in
    cold or hot
  7. Action

A fuel filter catches debris and moisture. At those temps a small amount of moisture frozen in just the right way can be an issue. Or a small amount of moisture/debris may not be an issue sometimes and other times yes. the fuel filter is rather large on that system.

Even if not a fuel filter is a maintenance item. At 180,000 (miles or kms) and unknown if a fuel filter has ever been changed it is silly not to change it.
    It may not fix the fuel issue if you are having a fuel issue and if you are having a fuel issue why would you not change the filter and bring current the maintenance of this piece?

The other piece would be ignition. However when the ignition system fails that usually trips a code. Spark plugs would be the exception and if spark plugs were an issue likely not ALL plugs would be a problem. And again if that were a problem the engine would run rough when it finally did start. A condition you are NOT reporting.

The issue seems to be NOT part of the electronic engine controls with no codes.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  8. Dustinmyles25

Dustinmyles25 New Member

Thanks again everyone, I wasn't expecting a reply so quick. I located the fuel filter and it does not look like it's been replaced in a while if ever. I will give that a shot as it's only 20 bucks for a filter and looks pretty easy to replace.

I will post an update in here when I see the results
  9. Action

It is a starting place.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action