1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

03 Windstar "clacking" sound when accelerating

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by Grant, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Grant

Grant New Member

Greetings folks,

This is my first time posting on this forum, any and all help appreciated.

We have a 2003 Windstar SEL. We bought it used about 5 years ago and it has been a great vehicle. It is in excellent condition, except for the fact that it has been sitting in our garage for almost a year now.

It has a "clacking" sound coming from bell housing. The engine runs great. The transmission shifts great. It does not make the sound when it is parked with the engine running. However, as soon as you put it in gear, it makes the sound. Frequency of the sound increases with acceleration. There is also a slight lurch/hesitation/shudder whenever the sound occurs. It happens once every couple seconds at slower speeds and increases to two or three times per second at increased speeds. This started occurring immediately after I had to slam on the brakes going 70mph on the interstate and then immediately get on the throttle again to keep from getting rear ended.

As stated earlier, engine runs fine and transmission shifts fine. The sound is confirmed as coming from bell housing. I thought about loose bolt, cracked flexplate, or bad torque converter.

I would appreciate any information possible from anybody with knowledge or experience on this topic. Feel free to suggest links to other threads which may help.

Thank you
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Your guess of, "
    I thought about loose bolt, cracked flex plate, or bad torque converter."

Would the same as I would come up with except I would tend to think of the loose bolt holding the flex plate to converter or cracked flex plate. Usually a bad torque converter shows up as transmission issues. Since there are none I would tend to say the flex plate or nuts securing the flex plate to torque converter.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
    redrag and Grant like this.
  3. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Active Member Respected Member

Remove the inspection plate and rotate the engine (clockwise) and observe the flexplate and torque converter