1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

05 ZX3 Brakes

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by Jim Farthing, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jim Farthing

Jim Farthing New Member

Wife was driving car and went to hit the brakes and the pedal seemed stuck. She pushed the pedal a couple more times and it went to the floor. The car will stop, as I have driven it a little to check everything out. But the pedal is almost on the floor and I am losing break fluid.

I was thinking caliper but have pulled all the wheels and do not see any fluid leaks anywhere.

What is the next thing I should check? Has anyone seen a problem like this before?

Thanks for reading!
    Jim
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

You have a leak. Either externally or internally. If no external leaks, then the master cylinder is passing fluid (leaking) between the front and rear system. This will cause a low pedal and some but not full braking.

Master cylinder replacement along with bleeding all of the brake fluid out. Technically old brake fluid will absorb moisture over time. Over that same time the brake fluid that has absorbed the moisture will not work as well and can cause issues for the metal parts in the brake system. There are sources on the net that suggest flushing out the brake fluid annually. This is a bit aggressive in my opinion. And I bet your 12+ year old ZX3 has the original fluid. Since you will open up the hydraulic system to do this repair, NOW is an excellent time to flush the brake fluid. Well that is if you care about your wife.

https://brakeperformance.com/flushing-brake-fluid.php

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action