1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

06 rear differential swap now 4WD service light on

Discussion in 'Ford Escape' started by StrangeSVO, Nov 9, 2017.

1. StrangeSVO

StrangeSVO New Member

Have a 06 limited and I swapped the rear differential with a salvage yard diff because the pinion bearings were noisy. (I understand it is a common problem). After the swap the 4WD light flashes and the "service 4WD unit" message appears. I ran the code and I'm getting the open clutch curcuit code. (P1825) Any ideas? Is the AWD rear diff/clutch in a limited the same as a 4WD diff clutch in a xlt? I had no issues other than noisy bearing before the swap. Thanks
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

I would strongly recommend getting a shop manual before the swap. Since the swap is done, I would still recommend it for the diagnostics. There is a set and this one will likely meet the immediate need.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ford-...ash=item466f2ffc39:g:0LwAAOSwxDNZg0PE&vxp=mtr

XLT and Limited are trim levels and have no bearing on a power train item.
    AWD and 4X4 are different systems that operate differently. AWD system is a Dana design and 4X4 is a Ford design. Not likely the electronics are interchangeable.

The "open" clutch circuit code is likely evidence that the electronics are not getting signals it was designed for. The shop manual will be your friend for that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. StrangeSVO

StrangeSVO New Member

Thanks for the input. Not sure what my next step is here. The bearings in the "new" diff sound so much better than the old diff. I don't think it would've lasted much longer and now the 4WD doesnt work. It drives fine so I guess I'll leave it along because I'm not changing the diff again.