1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

08 fusion 2.3 miss at start then won't rev

Discussion in 'Air Intake, Engine Electronics, Ignition & Exhaust' started by Codymatthew89, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Codymatthew89

Codymatthew89 New Member

08 fusion 2.3 misses at start up then it clears up but will not rev over 2500 rpms. Coil for the cylinder that misses is good. No codes either so is this a computer problem or am I looking at replacing the whole engine?
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

No codes usually means a non-electronic engine control issue.

Spark plugs
    Filters
    Low fuel pressure
    Air flow restriction

Questions -
    How many miles n engine?
    Does it occur on warm engine and cold engine?

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Codymatthew89

Codymatthew89 New Member

170k miles it misses when cold but after it warms up the idle smooths out. The only cylinder missing is #3 changed coils and still missed on that cylinder till it warms up. Battery keeps getting weak when it's not running also. Once warm it runs on all 4 just won't rev over 2500 rpms. It fires up like normal just misses on cylinder 3 till warm.
  4. Action

When were the spark plugs changed last?
    How did you discover the #3 cylinder is misfiring?
    What do you mean the battery keeps getting weak? Is it bad? Is the charging system low onoutput?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

You may ask you Ford dealer about this service bulletin
    http://www.fordforumsonline.com/bulletins/2008/fusion/10052190/
  6. Codymatthew89

Codymatthew89 New Member

I unplugged coils till the idle did not change to discover which cylinder was missing. I do not know when the plugs where last changed I just got the car a couple months ago. And the alternator is fine. The battery is getting weak after you shut it off and it sits after a couple hours.
  7. Action

At 170,000 miles at least pull all the spark plugs. I would consider replacing them as well. BTW, not sure about ignition systems in the last 20 years, however there was a time that removing a spark plug wire on a running engine that had electronic engine controls could due damage to the ignition system. Not a recommended way of testing.

A fast moving parts store (like Auto Zone) will test your battery (and alternator) for free. It is critical to the electronic engine control system to have full current to run properly. Getting that issue resolved is needed and may resolve the RPM limit issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action