1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1972 Ford LTD

Discussion in 'Ford Performance' started by FordfaninWI, Jan 26, 2018.

1. FordfaninWI

FordfaninWI New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here but wanted to ask for some opinions. My grandpa will be giving me his 1972 Ford LTD this summer (a lot of sentimental value for me), and I was contemplating resto-modding it. It has been in storage for a few years, so will need some tlc but is otherwise pretty good. No rust, lower miles, overall a good car. What is everyone's thoughts? Would this be a cool car to see resto-modded? Anyone have ideas for how much it would run cost wise to get her modded? At the very least, I'll want to upgrade the original engine to kick out more power as well as brakes and suspension. Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback!
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Cost on modifying a vehicle. That depends on location and the total of what you want to do. I think $5,000 for parts only and up is a good start. Unless you want to cut corners, you are going to be the designer, engineer and builder. If the LTD came with say a 302 and you want to step up to a 429, there are other things needed like a change in automatic transmission from a C-4 to a C-6. Springs up front to handle the weight. Hundreds of little parts .. brackets, linkages, wiring. And if you want to do this with modern parts, (Modular V8 auto OD, rack and pinion) the price goes up as well may be double and the build time triples. You are making a one off custom ride that unless you are set up to do a build then it becomes almost a job.

I understand more power and the need to stop it. I have a '71 with a 429 4V and stock brakes. I would be hard pressed to want more power than that. And the stock front disc with rear drum (in excellent condition) is quite sufficient to bring her back down to the stop light. And most of the systems in my ride have been brought back to stock condition like it was in the first two years of it's life. Lots of worn parts replaced. Steering, suspension, brakes and power train.

What engine, transmission rear axle is in there now?

>>>>>>>>>>>Action