1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1979 Ford Ranchero

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by Austin106, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

So I'm having a problem. I'm working on a 79 Ford ranchero with a 351 (I think.) now it's cranking over really strong, but that's it... it's not firing. Yes it's getting fuel. Yes it has spark. All spark plugs have been re-gapped. I've checked the compression. Originally I thought maybe the thing was choking itself out. So I disconnected the electric choke. It almost fired but didn't. It's so close! I'm starting to lose my freaking mind!!!! I'm starting think that the timing chain (t-chain) has slopped out and caused motor to fall out of time. I was told that the motor has had a new carbeurator installed and it was running before now but wasn't running very good... ran almost like it was miss-firing.

Any insight will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Austin B
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

They make 2 351 engines
    6 bolt valve cover
    and a 8 bolt valve cover
    Advise us and we will try to help
  3. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

Sorry for confusion. But last night I just found out it's not 351 its a 302
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

To make an engine run it needs
    Fuel
    Spark
    and compression

If it has all three either the spark is occurring grossly incorrectly timed. Or you don't have all three.

To check for correct timing -
    1) Easiest way is with a timing light while cranking
    2) If you don't have a timing light, pull #1 spark plug or valve cover and make sure #1 cylinder is at TDC. (Not exhaust stroke) Then pull distributor cap and check to see if rotor is at the #1 plug wire. Adjust distributor to #1 is off.

Usually no start issues are a result of a combination of things. Usually one thing being a little off won't stop an engine from running. It will run poorly with one thing a bit off and it will run.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

The Firing Order

Select the part number to view the diagram.Firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 ----------front | 1 2 3 4 | of | | distributorrotates counter vehicle | 5 6 7 8 | clockwise----------
    The Spark Plug Gap

.044 inchesCaution! Gap is not adjustable on certain plug brands
  6. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

7. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

Thanks for the info! Going to go over entire engine on Friday when I'm able to grab more of my tools from the shop.
  8. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

Hey all. So working on the ranchero again... and I took valve cover off because the journeyman mechanic in apprenticing under said to check cylinder 1 push rod. I pulled valve cover and the rocker arm was completely loose. And when it spins over... oil comes right out the push rod. Does this mean that there are some sealing issues? The journeyman says it could be a cam issue or even a collapsed lifter... but I don't think it is... because if it really was a collapsed lifter... there would be no oil pumping... correct? Love/hate relationship with this damn thing!!! Lol
  9. Action

If #1 is on compression stroke both valves are closed. Both rocker arms could be a little loose because the rocker arms are not pushing the valve open.

In addition, how oil gets up to the top of the cylinder heads and lubricates valve stems, rocker arm tips and push rod end is through the push rod. the push rod is hollow and oil should squirt through there as a normal course of operation. (This is a good thing!) This also means the lifter is NOT collapsed because oil (under pressure) has to travel through the lifter to get to the pushrod.

SBF oiling.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  10. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

I know the push rod is hollow. But it's not just a little oil... it's a lot. A lot more than all the other cylinders. I'd upload a short video I got but the website is telling me it's the wrong extension... whatever the hell that means
  11. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

I'm going to be taking the head off anyways because the owner has informed me that he thinks it needs to be fixed. He thinks it was warped. So I talked with him and since I'm tearing that far into it he's given me the go ahead to tear front of motor apart. So I'm just going to strip it down. Check the t-chain/belt (I think it's chain) and retune if necessary. Then once that's all done... Get new gaskets and seals for everything and put her back together (following proper specs of course).
  12. Action

SBF has a timing chain.
    >>>>>>>>>>Action
  13. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

Well started tearing into the old girl today and found there needs to be a whole lot more work done. Head gasket, intake gasket, carb gasket, push rods, water pump and gasket, timing chain and gears, timing chain cover gasket... just to list a few things off that I can remember after getting home from the vehicle. And the guy has now sold the ranchero to me. So I am now the proud owner of a fu**ed 1979 Ford Ranchero. Can't wait to have everything done and get er on the road again.
  14. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

The work never ends with this thing. Got it all ripped apart, and found out that the reason it wouldn't start.... timing was way too far out. Should've went there first.. oh well I guess at least now I'll know that everything has been done. Oh also is there anywhere that I can find a Hanes Repair manual for a 79 ranchero. I live in Alberta Canada
  15. Action

In the US a library would have shop manuals on loan. Maybe not almost 40 year old vehicles.

Since you are now an owner and you are doing your own work, I would recommend a factory manual. ebay would be an excellant source. There are 5 car shop manuals. The 5th one is for pre-delivery and your car has already been delivered. The other 4 are very useful.

This is the engine manual. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Ford-C...ash=item28387f31db:g:FUkAAOSwAPVZJt-b&vxp=mtr

As compared to Haynes, Chilton or Motors manuals, a factory set has way more detail. Just my opinon.

>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    pkevins likes this.
  16. pkevins

pkevins Active Member Respected Member

Not to mention the higher likelihood of actual accuracy.
    Kevin
  17. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

Quick update on my ranchero. Got the motor torn down. The single roller timing chain was all slopped out. So for $90 Canadian I was able to get my hands on a double roller timing chain and gear set. Just have to pick up the gear set and chain. Then get the gaskets and she can start going back together! Boy oh boy I’m getting excited!!
    Action likes this.
  18. Action

Thanks for the update. With that kind of issue, changing the oil pump would be highly recommended. And as long as you have it down inspect and replace as needed anything else. It is a lot easier to replace an engine item now that it would be when the engine is all buttoned up in the vehicle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  19. Austin106

Austin106 New Member

So very true Action. i would be making headway on the old girl but.. the snow kinda put a damper on things. tryi g to find a garage i can put it in and continue working on it.
  20. Action

Cold and snow would be a consideration.

>>>>>>Action