1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1988 econoline steering stabilizer bolt on

Discussion in 'Ford E-Series' started by aussie jason, Oct 31, 2017.

1. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

hi
    I have this steering bar
    steering-bracket.jpg steering-shock.jpg shocky that has come loose. I believe it's an aftermarket thing? one end attaches to the steering bar and the other has 2 bolts to attach to the chassis. how on earth do i get the bolts back inside the chassis tubular frame!
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

It is aftermarket!!! Called a steering damper.

The frame is not a solid tube. Not sure what is resting up against the frame, (It think it is a "rubber" splash shield if memory serves me) and dropping a bolt down through the existing hole in the frame would be what is needed to bolt that up.

With that said the other alternative would be to remove that piece. Usually these were added to reduce the play or slop in the steering system. There would be play or slop in the steering system because something is worn. The worn pieces usually are the tie rod ends and steering linkage. Back in 1997 I purchased a 1990 E 150. Replacing ALL the tie rod end and linkages. Then lubricated the fittings on a very regular basis. The new ones made a significant difference in the steering and lasted for another 20 years and over 100,000 miles when I sold it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    aussie jason likes this.
  3. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

there is some play in the steering, when i'm cruising along i can spin the steering wheel left or right a little bit and yet the van is still going straight. but then when it finally does veer it feels like an over correction and the van wants to"leave the lane"! i have to concentrate on the steering constantly. i pumped the front tyres up to 40psi and that seems to have helped.
    will look into inspecting the tie rod ends and steering linkage later (still awaiting my repair manual from ebay)

still don't know how to hold the damper bolts in place while they're 'inside' the frame! do you just "drop and hope" through the oval holes above?
  4. Action

If the piece next to the frame rail is just a splash shield, yes you can reach that hole. The frame is open on the other side that you have not shot a picture of.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

nope! it is a rubber splash shield but the frame is a full tube
    top view of frame with splash shield in background: top-view.jpg
    i think i am meant to use those oval holes somehow.

view of other side of frame, looking up from the ground. have moved the rubber shield aside.
    splash-side.jpg

on a side note, i was blindly digging my fingers in those oval holes, trying to feel for a loose bolt or anything. when i just now had a good look in through the hole i saw a huge redback spider (potentially fatal!) inside the frame. maybe 2 inches from my finger!
  6. Action

OK. I would spray for the spider and remove the steering stabilizer. That's me.

The replace worn steering parts and/or adjust the steering gear box.

>>>>>>>>>Action
    aussie jason likes this.
  7. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

8. Action

Yes that is an entire steering linkages.

Good price too. I think I spent double that in 1997.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    aussie jason likes this.
  9. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

my linkages have nearly arrived in Aus!
    any tips for the operation - how long it will take me, special tools?
    im guessing a few spanners, grease gun and a jack