1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0

Discussion in 'Air Intake, Engine Electronics, Ignition & Exhaust' started by Harveyb, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Harveyb

Harveyb New Member

I know this is a ford forum but I tried the mercury forums and got no answers.
    Have a 2000 mercury mountaineer that is crazy rich on idle,fuel pressure is good,burning a ton of gas.live data is as follows
    fuel system 1 CL fault(if I shut it off and restart it will go to OL fault)
    Fuel system 2-na
    calc load 33.3
    ect 174
    stft b1 -23.4
    ltft b1 0.0
    stft b2 42.2
    ltft b2 0.0
    engine rpm 856
    veh speed 0
    spark advance 18.5
    IAT(F) 66
    MAF 1.7
    TPS 18.8
    02SLOC B1S12_B2S12
    02S B1 S1(V) 0.920
    STFT S1 -23.4
    02S B1 S2 0.000
    STFT B1 S2 99.202S B2 S1 0.765
    STFT B2 S1 42.2
    02S B2 S2 0.910
    STFT B2 S2 99.2OBD SUP OBD2
    Any help would be very appreciated-Thanks
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Posting about a Lincoln and/or Mercury is cool.

I am not too good system data like you posted. And I do have some questions -

How many miles on the engine?
    Where on the planet are you operating this vehicle? (Hint complete the location of your profile)
    Super rich at idle speed, on first start up or at all times?
    Is the system generating any codes? If so what are they?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Welcomehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjgkqjyg-2U
  4. Harveyb

Harveyb New Member

thanks for the reply,everything is stock on it,its a friends vehicle,we found some broken wires in the harness,repaired them,replaced the exhaust from the manifolds back 2 the muffler,the cats were rusted through,the wires to the oil sensor in the oil pan were burnt together where the cat had a hole in it,we just cut the wires off that so they were not shorted together,have not fixed that yet,not sure what that sensor actually does.when I got the live data my buddy had just came back from a ride,I went out and started it and plugged my scanner in and started recording so it was pretty much up to temp idleing in my driveway when I recorded the data.Seems to run fine just off from idle,even though it is eating gas like crazy all the time.130,000 miles,no codes,was hoping for some codes to find a direction to go in,may have to keep driving it till we get one.
  5. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

I had a friend that had a v-6 that the wires to the EGO sensor was burnt but it was a no start issue
  6. Action

The numbers you posted above - is that data from the O2 sensor? Looks like Bank 1 is zero.

The O2 sensors go a long way to directing more or less fuel. (Rich or lean) O2 sensors wear out over time. The result of that wear is slow signals from the O2 sensors back to the processor. Finally the O2 sensor goes so slow or stops reporting that a code is generated. However the time before the code is just poor fuel or sloppy fuel management because the oxy sign is just not that accurate.

So I have read and I practice replacing all O2 sensors at 100,000 miles. Just as a matter of maintenance. I would recommed the same to you. That may not fix the entire problem and I bet it will knock out some of it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. Action

The sensor in the oil pan is for oil level. There should be zero impact on the fuel mixture because you cut those wires.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  8. Harveyb

Harveyb New Member

thanks for the reply,I understand what your saying about the sensors but it had the problem with the old exhaust and the one we just put on,maybe a wire prob to the sensor?
  9. Action

May be however the wire problem has to be such that it does not trip a code.

And at 130,000 miles the problem may have been there for some time and is getting worse. That is how a O2 sensor wears down.

You are looking for an issue that does NOT trip a code. And the system tests itself at every start up. Something electronic (sensor or actuator) not connected trips a code. A worn O2 sensor (not worn out) would not trip a code. Dirty filters don't usually trip codes. Worn spark plugs don't trip codes until they misfire.

So the question you have to ask is what causes a fuel dump and no code?

>>>>>>>>>Action
  10. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Active Member Respected Member

NOTE: When an O-2 sensor is not working the systems DEFAULTS to a rich mode, that is rich with fuel. If the vehicle is operated for a long time like this the Catalytic converter(s) will melt down. I have actually seen them glow. A good scan tool should allow you to get an indication as to whether, or not, your O-2 sensors are working. The O-2 sensors send a signal via the wire connections. I the connections are broken, say due to a burned wire, then the "computer" is not getting a signal and the fuel is enriched so as not to burn up the motor with a lean condition. This would and/or could be why you're using a greater amount of fuel.
  11. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Active Member Respected Member

Added thoughts: The IAC (idle air control or idle air bypass (IAB) act like a choke and if it sticks closed It can create a rich mixture condition.