1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2002 F150 intermittent starting problem

Discussion in 'Ford F-Series' started by Jim Petek, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Jim Petek

Jim Petek New Member

I have seen another post on this, but never saw if the guy truly solved it.
    My problem sounds identical. Intermittently the truck will crank but not fire up. It has never died on me once it has started. I was thinking it had something to do with the anti theft system, but now I am thinking it is the ignition switch. When I put the key in, the beeping does not always come on, I have to push the key in hard and jiggle it a little until I hear the beeping and the fuel pump turn on, then it starts. Any help would be appreciated. I do seem to have an aftermarket anti-theft add on installed, as there is a little red light down under the dash on the left side.
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

I'm having computer problems so I couldn't get a picture
    But the ignition lock cylinder has a lever on it that actuates the ignition switch
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Intermittent concerns are the hardest to resolve.

The best I can give you is to isolate between fuel and ignition if possible. After a crank no start open the hood and check to see if the fuel rail is pressurized. Engine off and just cranked ..... Un-cap the Schrader valve (if capped) and push in the Schrader valve for a brief second. Fuel should spray out. If so, the fuel system is good except the electrical feed to the injectors. A more professional way (with little to no fuel spray) would be to connect a pressure gauge to the schrader valve.

The key "beeping" is only to do with key in door open or headlights on if you are speaking about the chime. In any event the ignition switch is down the steering column and the ignition key lock moves a rod or mechanism to move the ignition switch. If the engine cranks the key cylinder is doing the job or moving the ignition switch to the proper positions because the start position is the furthest movement.

If ignition there could be lots of electronic engine components that are causing this. I had a 4.6l engine that would crank and not start because the crankshaft sensor was not always functioning. (Cam sensor would be the same)

Not going to be much help on the aftermarket security system.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. redrag

redrag Active Member

have removed many aftermarket alarm sys which caused no start. usually they are installed with wire nuts (bad connections.)
  5. bsorcs

bsorcs New Member

Cranked a few seconds; no fuel via the valve on the rail. I'll crank it longer to see it it repeats. If I can get an extra hand I'll check for spark. Will also see if I can scrounge up a code reader and a pressure gauge. PATS seems to be fading from the possibility list, based on cluster lights. Fuel pump, perhaps, but why would it suddenly go out? Did not have any indication of fuel filter problems before the no start.
  6. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

No fuel via valve on fuel rail. I would NOT dive into other areas until the fuel system was resolved.
    Fuel pump stopped suddenly. It is electrical. That is characteristic of an electrical issue.

You do not need to crank the starter to get the fuel pump to work. Turning on the ignition switch to run should activate the fuel pump (you can hear the pump running in the tank for a short period) to pump to pressure. With key on engine off the pressure should be at least 30 PSI. The actual spec is likely higher and you would need 30 to operate the injectors at all.

If pump runs and there is no pressure, the pressure regulator is suspect. It is in the rail and restricts fuel flow back to the tank. If it is no longer restricting fuel flow the pump is just circulating fuel from the engine and then back to the tank. There may be 5 or 10 PSI or so and not enough to operate injectors.

Have no idea on mileage of your vehicle or location as it is missing from your profile. If you are operating this in very cold temps and/or the vehicle has over 100,000 miles change the fuel filter. Water/moisture in the fuel system may freeze and damage a pump because fuel can not be pumped past the filter. Or the filter may have debris in it if it has not been changed in the last 5 years or 50,000 miles. It doesn't cost a lots and bad gas or fuel contamination can be an issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action