1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2002 windstar 3.8L sounds like a bell in under hood only at idle

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by rpmp3, Mar 23, 2011.

1. rpmp3

rpmp3 New Member

It sounds like there is a troll under the hood ringing a bell at idle, kinda sounds like a centifigual clutch on mini bike only at idle, what is the best way to identify which pulley bearing that it is, or is it a pulley bearing at all, a/c clutch, tensioner??????? 2002 windstar 3.8L new serp. belt last fall along with alternator.
  2. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member Respected Member

You might listen with a mechanic's stethoscope, a screwdriver, or a piece of hose. Be very careful of moving parts. Don't wear any loose clothing, jewelry or long hair that can get caught and pull you into the engine.

A safer way is to remove the serpentine belt and spin your pullys, if any of them feel gritty, replace them.
  3. mark v

mark v Well-Known Member Respected Member

I agree with Poppy, remove the belt and spin each pulley and all accessories that run off the belt.
  4. Kruser

Kruser Active Member

I replaced a harmonic balancer on a Chevy diesel truck about a week ago that sounded like a bell at idle. The rubber piece that holds the two pieces together was completely gone and the outer ring was just bouncing around all over the place.

There's also a lady driving around here with a Winstar that sounds like the same thing you are going through. At idle or slowly driving by it's ringing like crazy and when she shuts it off, it's very loud.
    She's about 90 years old and I'd like to flag her down, pop the hood on her vehicle and see what it is just to satisfy my curiosity.
    Anyway, just giving you some more places to check.
  5. mark v

Hey I had a 1976 Cutlass that did the exact same thing where the rubber fell out. Damn am I old cause that car was only like 15 years old when I owned it.

6. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

Did you ever find the cause of this noise.
  7. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

Ok, so I grabbed a mechanics stethoscope at Harbor Freight yesterday and started listening to all my pulleys, no noise. Looked under the van to see if there was a heat shield visibly loose etc, here's what a found.

There was a "collar" if you will at each end of the flex pipe on the exhaust and one of them seemed to have corroded loose and was rattling around (I could see it moving).

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P5300330.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P5300331.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P5300332.jpg

A couple quality minutes with the dremel + cut off wheel and problem solved.

I know this probably isn't the "correct" fix, until funds are available to replace that pipe, this at least gets rid of the rattle!
  8. mark v

Yeah that is the correct fix to me. I would only replace it when you get an exhaust leak if you ever get a leak. Good job discovering the issue!
  9. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

I'm hoping this helps the OP, however, I'm not sure how often they are on.

**EDIT** OP will probably never see this since they haven't been on since 3/22.
  10. Canuck623

Canuck623 Well-Known Member Respected Member

If you priced that "pipe" through Ford you would know that your fix is more than correct.
  11. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member Respected Member

Atta boy Dave!

I had my flex pipe replaced last year. IIRC about $150.
    My mechanic sent me to a very urban shop, in a lower income community. I suspect that was part of the reason why it was reasonably priced.
  12. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

LOL! I did, I forget what Ford's price was, but AutoZone was about $200 and RockAuto was $120. RA isn't too bad, but like Mark said, really no point in replacing until it actually starts causing problems.
  13. Canuck623

Canuck623 Well-Known Member Respected Member

I have a dumb question though. Why are there adds on the bottom of your pictures?
  14. LoneWolf3574

LoneWolf3574 New Member

I think that's part of the forums doing Canuck, my pix in an earlier post have the same thing going on them.
  15. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

Agreed, I've noticed it on everyone's. Unless it is something photobucket is doing all the sudden.

***EDIT*** Must be a forum thing, just posted a pic on another forum, no ad.
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  16. mark v

Yeah Robdog will have to look into that issue.

Anyway I have replaced this pipe twice on my van. The stock one failed so I bought a cheap one (Walker), that one failed even faster. Surprised me cause Walker is one of the best!

I bought a high end one off ebay and it is still holding strong.

Ebay seller
    eBay My World - mr.converter
    Ford Windstar 1995-2003 Direct Fit Exhaust Flex Pipe | eBay
  17. Flyingjackal456

Flyingjackal456 Moderator Staff Member

I have cut 3 of the 4 rings off of my flex pipe, no leaks yet... I actually have the factory exhaust still on my car (except for manifold gaskets, and the gasket just before the flex pipe). I suppose I am just lucky so far *knocks on wood* :biggrin5:
  18. Tricky1978

Tricky1978 New Member

Perfect explination... My van had the exact same issue, found this forum, took a peek under the van and sure enough... ring a ding ding coming from the flex pipe. It took me 3 cuts with some tin snips to get through the hanging ring... thanks!

19. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

Excellent! Glad you found my post helpful

20. Mike Kaiser

Mike Kaiser New Member

Thanks for posting this! My van makes a bell ringing sound, like you are outside the grocery store at Christmas and the Salvation Army is set up with their donation box. I just replaced the pullys last summer, and was thinking one of them was bad already. I'll look underneath it when I get home tonight. Mine would only make noise when in gear, and most noticeable when going through drive through windows, like at the bank. It was so irritating I would shut my van off while I was in line.