1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2002 Windstar electrical problem

Discussion in 'Electrical | Starting, Charging, Batteries & Lamps' started by bobs, Dec 4, 2017.

1. bobs

bobs New Member

The cluster on my 2002 windstar just went dead overnight - all gauges read zero and do not move even when car is being driven - it still starts and drives but no instruments, warning lights, no blower motor, no head or parking lights, wipers, turn signals, etc. I have brake lights and horn only. What could be the problem and cure?

Update: Just disconnected the battery and when reconnected I now have head and tail lights and head lights stay on all the time unless I disconnect battery with engine off. Everything else the same.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Check the power distribution box. Location is shown in your owner's manual.
    The headlights are usually on a circuit all by themselves. Will be protected by a circuit breaker. Sounds like disconnecting the battery reset the breaker

Many of the other items are on fuses controlled by a breaker. Either a fuse has "blown" or you have a circuit breaker protecting several circuits that has tripped. Or a power relay that has not kicked in when a signal was sent to it.

You want to be a little careful in working around this issue. Circuit breakers and relays handle heavier current. Most of time they fail because they just got old. However they are there to prevent grounded circuits of great current. If that situation occurs it may be possible to have an electrical fire.

The other possibility is your battery is at the end of it's service life and there was a current surge causing breakers to trip.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. bobs

bobs New Member

Left the battery disconnected for a day and guess what? Everything's working now.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Awesome. Make sure the battery cable ends are clean and tight.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action