1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2002 Windstar misfire on 4 cylinders P0302, 03, 04, 05

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by robb, May 13, 2017.

1. robb

robb New Member

A friend's van has a hard time under load (very noticeable climbing a hill or accelerating from a stop, duh).
    I've scanned and erased codes 4 days in a row now. Misfires on 2, 3, 4, and 5 have come up. 3 and 4 more often that 2 and 5. Never 1 and 6, which may be a clue since they are on the passenger side of the engine. I was thinking partially blocked EGR ports, but then that should be the opposite - mostly 1 and 6, right?

Since it's semi random cylinder(s) I don't think it's an individual cylinder problem (plug, wire, injector), but something common - fuel filter, fuel pump, MAF, O2 sensor, coil pack?).
    I've replaced the fuel filter (some improvement), and tomorrow I will remove the EGR line to be sure partially blocked EGR ports aren't the problem.
    What other testing can I do to narrow down what's causing this?
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

3. robb

robb New Member

4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

How many coil packs does it have?
    What is vacuum reading at idle?
    Have you done a compression test?

>>>Action
  5. robb

robb New Member

One ignition coil. I don't think my scanner shows vacuum, and don't have a vacuum gauge. Don't have a compression tester, and couldn't get to the cylinders by the firewall anyway.
  6. Dominick 1

7. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Too bad because a vacuum gauge is a great way to discover over all running condition. A compression gauge is a good tool for over all engine health.

The electronic engine control system is picking up a symptom. Could be a lean misfire due to ignition or vacuum leak or lean fuel mixture.

Fuel mixture could be O2 sensor. You didn't state how many miles on engine. If over 100,000 miles I would replace the O2 sensor just as a maintence item. May fix the issue as well. Or dirty air filter

Vacuum leak could be a lot of things.

Ignition would be limited to spark plugs, wires and the coil.

>>>>>>>>Action
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. robb

robb New Member

I cleaned the PCV, replaced the leaky grommet, took the EGR line off and no difference - so wasn't the EGR ports. Replaced the plugs, wires, and coil, and it runs like a champ!
  9. Dominick 1

Thanks for posting the results