1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2011+ Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Clutch Shudder FIX To Try At Home

Discussion in 'Ford Focus' started by makuloco2000, Oct 3, 2014.

1. makuloco2000

makuloco2000 Active Member Respected Member

Now while this is not a Ford approved method we do know it works by "scrubbing" the clutch and the TCM adapting to the clutch. Many dealerships have used this as a learning technique for the TCM. This is not to be done on a transmission that has the input shaft seal leak and definitely not on a new clutch that is still being broken in.

2. Bra

Bra New Member

Thanks. Will try this. Will speed 1st to 4th few times, really hard. Will let you know if it is ok after.

My car is a manual, 1.5 disel, with just 9,000km. The sound is mostly present (5-6 times) when I enter the garage and try to climb over the pavement which is just 10cm obstacle, and just 1-2 times on a hill start.

Hope it is not for a new clutch, since few times (6-7) in the past the clutch was burned without my fault (a smell felt), due to a problem I recently anounced, when ford made a recall for the electric handbrake, which was not releasing, and practicly the car was starting to drive out of garage (14% incl.) with a hand brake partialy on (without me being aware of it at all)... now they fixed the problem with software update, but hope that it had not destroyed the clutch...

An I do drive like a grandmother, it is 1.5 diesel in Mondeo, not the most potent engine :)...
  3. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Good Luck
  4. Bra

Bra New Member

Tried, but nothing :(... again the sound is present from time to time, even on a simple first gear flat road start, it lasts as long as I keep the foot on the clutch (during parking, or reverse...) like borer when making a hole in a wall...
  5. Dominick 1

You shouldn't ride the clutch
  6. Bra

Bra New Member

not riding, just slowly engaging while the car starts moving, such as while parking or moving narrow places, etc... doing the same driving for 25 years, on 10 cars so far... no issues. on diesel car is even easier and less dangerous for the disc/flywheel, as you engage without gas, just the clutch is depressed. on petrol is more dangerous, as you have to push the gas pedal, balance the gas pedal and clutch disengaging that could make make extra friction..

not sure if the sound signals need for new clutch or else... just 9000 km
  7. Dominick 1

I'd talk to your dealer again
    Aftermarket shows a dual mass conversion kit flywheel but they are out of it
    See if they have another update
  8. Bra

Bra New Member

Thanks. I will have to. Unfortunately, I think the clutch is not covered with warranty...
  9. Bra

Bra New Member

Update - I went to the service, they heard the sound and wanted to take off the gearbox and see the clutch to let me know if this thing is under warranty or not... I decided to postpone a little more, to have this sound at least more frequent, so they can be sure what is it, not to remove all for nothing...

Before, the car had a recall because of the electric handbrake that might not be releasing in full. Do you know guys if this can be caused by the handbreak, if not releasing, than the friction and resistance is on the clutch (apart from the pads), right?
  10. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

What kind of vehicle?
    Where is this being operated?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  11. Bra

Bra New Member

Ford Mondeo manual, 1.5 disel, with just 9,000km, it is Europe, not US... but it is the same to Fusion there
  12. Action

So it is under warranty?

Did someone at the dealership drive it and experience this condition?

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  13. Bra

Bra New Member

Yes, a mechanic did and he said that he needs to take off the gearbox to see it, and then they will know if it is under the warranty or not...

I better wait, to become more frequent, since least I want is they to learn what it is by dismantling the car, and saying do not know what it is...

If it is a flywheel, it is not under warranty they said. I am only confused if it might be worn out by the handbreak fail to deactivate...
  14. Dominick 1

If the hand brake fails to deactivate it is causing the car to work harder to move it
    It's like pulling dead weight
  15. Action

I believe it would not be covered under warranty if you drove it in a manner that was not recommended. High rev and dumped the clutch. Dragged the clutch for long period of time causing excessive heat to build up on the flywheel. Kept your foot on the clutch after the shift was complete.

These things would cause excessive heat to the flywheel and machining or flywheel replacement will not fix as it would be the driver that is causing the issue.

When does the warranty expire?
    Date and ending kms

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  16. Bra

Bra New Member

nothing of that, just once or two times had a smell, when on high elevation, but it is not possible from those two times...

the warranty ends in 6 years from now, and the car is with 10000km only. I belive the handbreak issue might have a role in this, but they will not admit that, and I cannot prove...

and none of the test for worn clutch apply, al is great and the car pulls creat, stops if try to move in 5th, with handbreak on...
  17. Action

Do you feel this every time you drive the car?

the condition the dealership is looking at is NOT a worn clutch. It would be a flywheel that has hot spots in it. Those hot spots would be areas that have hardened to a hardness greater than the rest of the flywheel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  18. Bra

Bra New Member

Thanks.

I feel that only occasionally, so far maybe max. 10 times in the past month or two, not related to any specific situation, uphill, flat parking, or climbing the garage pavement (just 3 inch. obstacle). will do once, and than never again whole day or days...

I plan to wait more so this to become frequent and the dealer will be 100% sure what it is, instead of experimenting. At the end, if they do not provide the change under warranty, it is better to change it latter than sooner right?

Thanks.
  19. Action

"I plan to wait more so this to become frequent and the dealer will be 100% sure what it is, instead of experimenting. At the end, if they do not provide the change under warranty, it is better to change it latter than sooner right?"

I think this is a good plan.
    YES - If it isn't a covered item, I would wait until the clutch is worn out. That's me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action