1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

2012 Ford Focus transmission replacements that is outside of warranty coverage and costing a bundle: Please Help

Discussion in 'Ford Focus' started by Moostifur, May 19, 2017.

1. Moostifur

Moostifur New Member

Hello there. First time poster here and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a 2012 Ford Focus and this car is proving to be a nightmare. It's at the dealer now for a repair on the transmission. I am being told by the dealer (Star Ford, Glendale CA), that both my clutch actuators need to be replaced and since one of them stripped the transmission housing, the whole thing has to be replaced.

This car has been giving me transmission problems for a few years now (bought it new in late 2011). Now, I've had a reprogram in April of 2016 and a clutch replacement in June of 2016. I had jerkiness in shifts only a couple of months after the june repair and I have learned to baby the accelerator in order to lessen the abrasive shifts; i drive this car like an old lady. This was manageable until last week when it started dropping into neutral after shifting out of first. It would leave me in intersections and other dangerous situations where I'd be sitting there and revving until it would pick up into 2nd a few seconds later.

Called Ford and talked 3 different levels of customer service, all of which told me that these parts were outside of the warranty and that I needed to pay for repairs. I am convinced that the abrasive shifting and jerking (inherent with the terrible design of the TCM and clutch) lead to the breaking of the actuators.

I still have the stock TCM but dealers have told me that it doesn't need to be replaced, but now I'm thinking that this and the awful learning habits of the software have broken my actuators. I used to live in San Francisco and would occasionally have to drive those SF hills. This would seemingly immediately reprogram the software to shift much more abrasively for weeks after. Like I said, I have driven this car like an old lady since I got it in order to keep the transmission wear down. So is it possible that the bad TCM design and software habits would break my actuators? There's no way that my driving habits would put that much stress on these parts.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO! Sorry to hear of your issues.

How many miles on the vehicle?
    Who did the work in June 2016?
    I am not clear on your posts regarding the TCM. Was it replaced?
    If yes when and how many miles and who did this repair?
    Is the repairing dealership the same as the selling dealership?

To your question ......
    ".. is it possible that the TCM design and software habits would break my actuators?"
    I don't know.

It may be possible to get financial assistance from Ford after the repairs are done. Depending on mileage Ford may make a goodwill adjustment to the cost of the repair work. Assuming your vehicle is out of warranty, you can build a case for some assistance based on history and use. If the vehicle is out of warranty the Customer Service line doesn't have much leeway. The dealership does and that would be through the service manager. AFTER you get the history together.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Moostifur

Moostifur New Member

Thank you for your reply.

The vehicle has 61,500 miles.
    The clutch replacement was done by a different dealer: Serramonte Ford, Colma, CA
    The TCM was not replaced, just the clutch.
    Repair dealership for the clutch in June 2016 was different than the selling dealership.

Service manager wont budge because Ford only covers them to repair the TCM and the clutch under Ford's extended warranty. Since the parts that need to be replaced are the actuators, throw out bearing (and now after their further inspection) the transmission case. This transmission has unanimously been deemed as faulty and I am convinced that it's abrasive and stuttery nature, over time, has broken the aforementioned parts.

Thanks again for reaching out. I'm open to any suggestions you might have.
  4. Action

I see you are beyond the power train warranty by mileage AND time. (not by much)

This is an automatic transaxle correct?
    Do you have an extended warranty as well?
    If no, what extended warranty are you referring to in the above post?

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Moostifur

Moostifur New Member

Ford extended the warranty for transmission related issues (only pertaining to reprogramming, broken TCM replacement, broken clutch replacement) to 100,000 miles and 7 years. Unfortunately my actuators, which broke, lie outside of warranty even though they are controlled by a faulty TCM.

extended warranty description: http://fordfocustransmissionwarrantyextension.com/
  6. Action

Thanks for the link. Have you been given an estimate for the non-covered items????

A warranty has a specific meaning in the legal world. For you, if the repair is covered you don't care what it is called. With that said, the program shown in the link is not a warranty. It is what Ford used to call (an may still do) an owner notification program. Basically a good will program.

The servicing dealership (current place) has less interest in helping you out that the selling dealership. Again to you it is a Ford thing and not a local level thing. However any goodwill gesture (or financial aid if you will) is going to come from a local level and not directly from Ford.

What you can do because you have lots of choices - just not a clear choice.
    Sell the car as is to either dealership or to a private party
    Repair the vehicle as estimated by the selling dealership
    Have the vehicle taken somewhere else for repairs
    Have the vehicle taken to the selling dealership fro repairs (which may be at some distance) I would call first.
    The last 3 options you can submit to Ford for (partial or complete) reimbursement.

ASSUMING NO REPAIRS ARE TAKING PLACE AT THE MOMENT which the repairing dealership is waiting for your authorization. (If this is not correct please post what is the current repair status of your vehicle)

If I were you I would call the selling dealership and calmly lay out the scenario that you have at this point. With dates of previous repairs and as best as you can tell them what those repairs were. If possible speak to the service manager. Depending on dealership size this will be easier as some stores versus others. The person that you speak to may not have a solution immediately. Adjustments may take a little time. And that dealership may want to speak to the repairing dealership.

For the most part no one wants you to be unhappy. Things happen. It appears there is a known issue and you are with in the limits of that issue. It appears that issue has caused other damage. However this is an opinion on my part with out seeing the parts, car or repair history. So I am the least qualified to pass judgment.

And if you would post your result.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. Moostifur

Moostifur New Member

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response. I'll just have to weigh my options after getting final quotes and everything. I think contacting the selling dealership is a great idea and I'll definitely follow up on that ASAP.
  8. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

9. Moostifur

Moostifur New Member

I did. Unfortunately the actuators were already damaged by the time I watched that video. Thanks for the response though.