1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

3.8 mustang to 3.8 windstar?

Discussion in 'Air Intake, Engine Electronics, Ignition & Exhaust' started by Scholar187, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Scholar187

Scholar187 New Member

I'm trying to figure out if these engines are similar enough that the coil packs are the same. Also what else can go from mustang to windstar?
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

What years?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Scholar187

Scholar187 New Member

My windstar is a 2002 so something around there.
  4. Action

The cooling systems and accessory drive systems in the two vehicles are not the same.

What year Mustang?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

An interesting article in Engine Builder on the evolution of the Ford 3.8. And, with respect to the point about cooling systems, there's a notable paragraph about the head gaskets and known challenges...

Kevin
    Action likes this.
  6. Scholar187

Scholar187 New Member

I'm thinking something in the 2000's. I'm also wondering if the bolt ons and speed equipment are compatible? Things like throttle body or even turbos.
  7. Action

The bolt on question is - mostly no.
    Do not understand what you mean about speed equipment.

A 3.8 never had a turbo. A super charger was available only on Thunderbird Super Coupe. That engine will not work in your mini-van. Neither will the throttle body. All of the engine controls were made for a specific year, model and application. The intended use of a Mustang is not the same as a Windstar. So Ford does not control those engines the same. Could you bolt up parts? In many cases the answer is yes. Would the engine run well? That answer is NO.

My question would be why. Why take parts off of a vehicle that isn't the same year and model? Other than some long block parts, the rest of the engine and other items are built for rear wheel drive with electronic engine controls made for that specific year & model.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Dominick 1 likes this.
  8. Scholar187

Scholar187 New Member

I appreciate your wisdom and insight. I was reading about people using the air intake off of windstars for mustangs and was just wondering if it worked in reverse. I'm not a mechanic, I'm a Marine so my skill set is completely different. Thank you again for your time educating the ignorant.