1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

60's Drags

Discussion in 'Ford Pictures & Ford Videos' started by Jeb Roberts, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jeb Roberts

Jeb Roberts New Member

A few Ford's on the strip I grew up on.

Attached Files:

2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Where was the strip?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Jeb Roberts

Jeb Roberts New Member

San Antonio

Attached Files:

4. Action

Little Red Wagon!!!!

Was there more than one of those???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

The only one I saw were at various strips in Ohio,Detroit and Indy
  6. Action

I wasn't into drags as a kid. However I had heard of the long wheel stands of the Lil Red Wagon. So I just googled it and found out Bill "Maverick" Golden the driver and eventually owner of that truck (and a second one) passed away a couplf of years ago.

>>>>>>>>Action
  7. Action

8. Dominick 1

I was into to it from the late 60s to mid 70s
    So that seems correct
  9. Jeb Roberts

Jeb Roberts New Member

I think there was only one, but it would wear out over time so they would find another Dodge and rework it to become the next LRW. Back in those years I used to keep a time ticket from all the exhibition and match race cars they would bring into the tract. Somehow over time like many things in our life they were lost. Most of those guys are gone now. It was the golden age back then. My dad had an ambulance company and so we would take one out each Sunday/Saturday. Sponsorship help from a dealership here in town that was pretty cool. They gave him a 67 Cougar 390 4 speed. Pulled the motor and the Woods Bros of NASCAR built a 427 for it. Would run 10's and that was not bad for a full steel car. My brother has a pic of it and next time I visit with him I will scan it. If I can copy and paste it I shared a story over on Face Book of Chuck Rose and the Green Monster. Was a good time to grow up if you love cars and racing.
  10. Jeb Roberts

Jeb Roberts New Member

It was in 66 or maybe 67 and I had spent Saturday in the parking lot of the old Main Lincoln Mercury dealership. I was there to watch over 2 cars that were on display. One was my Dad's/Brother's dealership sponsored 64 Comet and the other was Art Arfons Green Monster Jet Dragster. I was so tempted to sit in the jet car when no one was around, but I pretty much felt I would catch it pretty good if I got caught, so I just enjoyed being around that magnificent machine. Later that afternoon we loaded up both cars and were on our way to the tract. Doug Rose was the driver of the Monster and he was a really cool guy. He made 3 runs in it that night and when he finished up the last exhibition pass and it was time to put it back in it's trailer we were standing there by his machine. We had pitted beside each other that night and so he was just talking to my Dad and Brother. He looked over and asked my Brother, 'would you like to make a pass in the car?' WOAH! - WOAH and WOW! I looked up at my Brother and he said no, he did not think so. WHAT? Wait this is the chance of a lifetime. Are you crazy? I was a kid of 13 or 14 and I was yelling in my head and heart ASK ME. ASK ME! We helped him load it up, but I pulled my Brother to the side and told him, you will never get this chance again. Take it and make a pass, but he thought that Dad might not want to have to pay to put it back together if he messed up. All these years have come and gone now and I don't think I ever asked him if he wish he would have made that run that night. Next time I see him I will remind him of it. Doug lost his legs in a racing accident later, but still drove Jet cars for many years.

Attached Files:

• GM.jpg
      GM.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Action

Very nice.

This forum is a bit laid back. So you and to post links or pics from fb go right ahead.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  12. Dominick 1

I saw the Arfon's first dragster at the old Firestone Strip in Akron Ohio
    It was called the Baloney slicer
    Allison aircraft powered with a prop on the back for propulsion
    Jeb Roberts likes this.
  13. Jeb Roberts

Jeb Roberts New Member

Great days back then when it was Arfon vs Breedlove on the saltflats. How they would raise the bar and trade licks with each other. True grit.
  14. Dominick 1

That was the good old days
    Jeb Roberts likes this.