1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

67 ford falcon

Discussion in 'Ford Falcon' started by Clayman75, Nov 12, 2017 at 5:48 PM.

1. Clayman75

Clayman75 New Member

Hi folks I just purchased another project 1967 ford falcon 2 door no engine or tranny. The guy also had a 68 thunderbird with a 429 4 barrel so I bought that too. I am planning on squeezing the 429 into the falcon. Question is has anyone done this. Lots of motor for mid size car.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Not sure it will fit with out lots of modification as it wasn't a mid-sized car it was a compact. Fairlane was mid-sized or intermediate car line. Largest engine available in '67 Falcon was a 302. The 385 series engine is 5" longer, 3" wider and 2 1/2" taller. Not to mention 260 pounds heavier. Since 302s are so readily available why don't you install a 302.

I believe anything is possible ..... given enough time and money. You will need lots of both. Especially if your Falcon came with a 6 cylinder. The suspension & brake parts to keep the thing on the road will be a lot. It might be easier to remove the T-bird body and drop the Falcon body on the modified T-bird frame. At least you would have the start of something safe.

http://mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM
  3. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

Interestingly, Mac's Auto Parts will let you (at least try to) order a custom motor mount kit (PN: 41-76943-1), although I think that is the least of the challenges.

Unless you plan to never change the spark plugs, it's hard to imagine not having to re-do most of the front clip; i.e., lose the shock towers for a beefed-up "Mustang II"-type suspension.

For grins, I googled "429 in a Falcon" and found several threads about trying it in 1970 Falcon -- nothing earlier.

To add to Action's comments about a 302-based build... stroker kits are easily available to upgrade a 289-302 block to 347 CID to deliver excellent performance, not to mention opening many options for the drive train (C4, Toploader, T5).

Kevin
  4. Clayman75

Clayman75 New Member

Well I have done quite a bit of research and apparently the 67 falcon is the first year that a big block will fit between the shock towers with no modifications. Pre 67 does not fit without major modifications.just need to beef up shocks and brakes. It will be tight but should work. 360 horsepower factory on the 429 . Thanks for the advice guys I will post pics
    Action likes this.
  5. ms fowler

ms fowler Member

Yes, for 1966, and later, the Falcon lost its compact status and became fairlane-based, so anything available in the fairlane will work in that later falcon. In 1966 the Falcon got different front end sheet metal, but otherwise was build on a Fairlane uni-body. In 1967, the distinction became even less with only badging and content of the option list being different
  6. Clayman75

Clayman75 New Member

That's great news thanks alot for the information
  7. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

I would like to see it happen.
    The good, the bad and the ugly, post progress of stuffing a 429 into a Falcon.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action