1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

88 econoline engine cover rubber and all rubber

Discussion in 'Ford Vans' started by aussie jason, Dec 4, 2017.

1. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

hi legends,

wife is complaining of getting a bit of fumes smell in the van, esp. on a long drive.

where do i acquire new rubber seal for the engine cover? I have found this kit that does all the doors but it doesnt have the engine cover:

https://www.stockinteriors.com/Weatherstrip.asp?Itemid=17293&MakeId=34&ModelId=218

however it appears they don't ship to australia, i intend to contact them about it.

can i simply use a universal rubber seal or should i buy the fitted kit?

regards
    jason
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Good question not sure I have a good answer.

You might look at saving the existing seal. It is glued in, make sure the glue has not come apart. And you can lube it with a rubber or vinyl conditioner. (I would do that on all weather strips.)

A universal seal would work as well. That seal is very long and thick. If replacing with a universal as long as it gets crushed when buttoning it up you should be good to go.

Also look at other areas that could leak under hood air into the passenger compartment. Around the heater/AC box and in the driver's area there are several things that pierce the passenger compartment.
    Accelerator cable
    Wiring harness
    Vacuum lines

Good luck
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    aussie jason likes this.
  3. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

amazing - i found a 1/2 inch gap in the rubber weather seal join on the underside of the back door, basically directly above the exhaust pipe!! there was dust marks where the fumes were coming into the van. i have put gap filler there. hoping ive fixed the fumes issue

i can't believe someone has left a gap there!