1. Ford Logo

Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

96 Ford contour front right lower control arm R&R

Discussion in 'Brakes & Suspension' started by MrJess47, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MrJess47

MrJess47 New Member

What is the best way to get it off and back on. New all around
  2. mark v

mark v Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

My suggestion is get a service/workshop manual, Chiltons is one of the best, the best is the actual Ford manuals and you can get them new and used off ebay. The reason why is that removing it may be easy by installing it needs certain torque values set on every nut and bolt you remove.
  3. jwko

jwko New Member

Hope this helps

4. mark v

mark v Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

So what is the torque setting for the balljoint pinch bolt now? This is also needed to do the job correctly. Also are these reusable nuts and bolts or are new ones needed cause some are throwaway parts in certain circumstances?

Big reason why I say get a manual.
  5. jwko

jwko New Member

Suspension arm to knuckle pinch bolt: 61 ft.lb

Alldata makes no reference to new or reused bolts for this application.

However you'll need a new axle nut if removing the cv joint as its not recommended for reuse. 200 ft.lbs
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. blueice999uk

blueice999uk New Member

I came across this problem of not being able to get the control arm bolts out because the transmission gets in the way on 1997, 2 litre engine. The Hayes manual move lots of bits and lower the subframe. What I did as a short cut measure is disconnect the right hand side transmission top mounting and raised the engine/ transmisson up on the right hand side a little bit which gave me enough clearance to get the control arm bolts out.
    I am just a do it yourself car mechanic.
  7. MrJess47

MrJess47 New Member

Good, awesome, thanks guys. I am going to replace the struts and tierod ends. I have had this lil car since she was new. Others come and go... Any help or tips on a 2.0 liter engine beef up, any bolt ons, etc.... Thanks