1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

a4 to c4 swap

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger' started by procadman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. procadman

procadman New Member

All help forums, on various sites, say one way to connect a 2.9 block to a c4 tranny is to use a C5 bellhousing.

My A4 has gone belly-up for the third time so I'm making this swap. (I only have about 60k on the 2.9 rebuild or I'd swap engine and tranny both.)

I have one question:

Do I need a specific C5 bellhousing or is one better than the other?

i.e.:
    RF-C5AP-7976-A (Aluminum) (my preference)
    c5ta 7505 b 390 (cast iron)
    C5TA-7505-B (cast iron for 352 360 390 410 427 428)
    C5TA-6394 (cast iron)
    C5TA-6394-A (cast iron small blk)
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Welcome to the Forum
    Maybe this will help
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InterchangingTansmissions.html
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Great link.

The A4LD transmission is very sensitive to load and service. It is NOT a HD transmission. Over loading it, repeated rapid accelerations or lugging in OD will greatly shorten the life of this transmission.

So will the lack of servicing. Letting this transmission go beyond 30,000 miles without changing the fluid and filter creates an early death. If this were mine I would change at 20,000 to 25,000 miles.

Or go back in technology and install a different transmission. Or you might consider going to a fully electronic transmission.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. procadman

procadman New Member

The problem was the A4LD was billed as "medium" duty. The 1989 2.9 with A4LD 2wd Ranger had a tow rating of 5000lbs.
    Unfortunately, everyone who has had one apart has found it to be a "light" duty C3 with overdrive and 2 solenoids.

The older non-OD C4 is a dependable medium duty unit that has much better fuel economy than the C6 and is, as far as I can tell, easier and cheaper to come by and rebuild/modify.
    Also it is still the choice of race builds which should allow me to do modifications more easily than a fully electronic model.

This will be the last build, one way or the other, for the truck while it is in my care.
    I may will it to my grandson or someone who really appreciates Rangers.

As an update to my original question, I have recently been informed any 2.8 or 2.9 C5 bell housing will work for this swap.
    My Ranger is 2wd so a drive shaft mod is not required like the 4wd models.
  5. procadman

procadman New Member

Thanks, I am familiar with that post. It's very good info but doesn't specify which C5 bellhousings will fit.
  6. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Anything can be done given enough $ and time. Not sure I would bill an A4LD or any early versions of the OD transmission as anything other than light duty. To get a 5K towing capacity the axle ratio would have to be 4.10 with a Reg cab and a short box. The towing in OD lock out. The trailer frontal area is an issue as well. I would look that up and you don't state what year you have.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

C-4 can be a stout transmission with mods. I towed 7000 pounds of boat with an old C4. However it was modified a lot in a E 100 with 4.11s and two extra coolers.

It is harder and more expensive to modify newer vehicles.

>>>>>>>>>>Action