1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Adding Bluetooth to 2002 Ford Windstar

Discussion in 'Interiors, Sound & Security Systems' started by rwksict, Apr 25, 2018.

?

What do you think of my project?

1. Dude, you're nuts! Give up the 16-year old tech and get a new Double DIN

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Hacking. Meh. Get the Bluetooth FM Transmitter and be done with it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cool! Post the instructions so I can hack mine, too!

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. rwksict

rwksict New Member

Brief
    I have an original 1F2F-18C868-AA (AM/FM/Cassette/CD) in my 2002 Windstar.

I would like to replace the cassette with a Bluetooth module, since I don't think I even have any audio cassettes these days, and I don't want to use a Bluetooth FM transmitter (it's about the journey, not just the destination).

Detail
    The easy fix would be to simply splice the Bluetooth & an amp into the speaker wires and leave the head unit turned off to use the Bluetooth. But that's not difficult enough (I guess), and I would like to use the head unit's power/volume, seek forward/back buttons, and perhaps the Dolby button to accept and hang up calls.

In my research, I found out that this particular audio unit uses a Visteon DM100i audio system (that designation is on the main IC on the main circuit board). Unfortunately, Visteon won't talk to anyone unless they want to buy (as a manufacturer) or sell (as a distributor) mass quantities of Visteon's goods, or if you're an accountant for one of those two types of entities. I've also come up dry on Google for anything more than basic info (speaker test, self-test, some error codes).

Looking at the Cassette/CD portion, there is a small circuit board that has the inputs printed on the board (Yay!), including SCK, MOSI, MISO, and CS__ (CSTA for the Cassette and CSCD for the CD player), indicating that the system uses the SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) "standard" with the DM100i chip as the master and the Cassette and CD microprocessors as slaves.

I know this is the longest of long shots, but does anyone have any information on the DM100i pinout or circuit board diagram, or the SPI commands it uses? My thought was to intercept the Cassette inputs and spoof the outputs using an Arduino controller. The Arduino could translate certain button pushes to control the Bluetooth, and tell the DM100i "brain" whatever it wanted to know about status. I also need to know the cassette module's audio output voltage so I don't over/under-drive the system with the Bluetooth audio signal. I think the PA2020A chip is the amplifier, though I can't find that exact chip's datasheet (closest was APA2020A).

Thanks in advance!
    Rick

PS - I'd be happy to share my journey here so others may learn (even if the lesson is "kids, don't try this at home!")

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

I know you typed in English. It looks like English.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
    rwksict likes this.
  3. rwksict

rwksict New Member

LOL! Sorry it's such a technical post. The problem is finding the overlap of Ford Windstar stereo and tech geek people.

I feel the same way when others talk engines (which sounds to me something like "did you set the cravistat to 0.35 degrees off top knock from the Breel comistator?")
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Action likes this.
  4. pkevins

pkevins Active Member Respected Member

Option 3

Kevin
  5. DesertXL

DesertXL Active Member Respected Member

Hello rwksict,

I know exactly what you are going through in trying to find information on more modern IC's especially when those IC's are custom made for a customer. It's like pulling teeth to get any information on them. I usually end up reverse engineering systems to suss them out. It's long and tedious but on some small spectrum rewarding in the end.

What I would suggest is using either a logic analyzer or multi-channel digital scope with enough memory and sampling rate to record the SPI commands per function exercised, in this case with the cassette function. It's not optimal but doable.

Then you can design the Arduino hardware and firmware to spoof a cassette.

Agh how I miss the days of discrete components or common use mass produced IC's. :rolleyes:

Good Luck!
    rwksict likes this.
  6. Action

Wow there we go again! I know that was English. I am pretty sure those were words found in the English dictionary. Just lost me right after Hello ..... :rolleyes:

>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. DesertXL

DesertXL Active Member Respected Member

:) I just get super geeky and excited when I read a post like that.

It's ever so refreshing to see someone else dig that far into an automotive project. :cool:
  8. Action

^^^^ I believe that!

>>>>>>>>Action
  9. rwksict

rwksict New Member

Thanks for the input! I found some information on the Arduino forums where someone else doing a similar project had used a logic analyzer for the same reason. I may try to set up my Arduino as either a "man-in-the-middle" or just a "listener" to eavesdrop on the signals between the cpu and the cassette and record what happens.
  10. rwksict

rwksict New Member

Yes, but that's not nearly as fun! :) The geek in me wants to say, "I hacked Bluetooth into my factory car stereo!" rather than "I installed a new head unit." I know, there's professional help for that sort of thing, too. :D
  11. pkevins

pkevins Active Member Respected Member

I
    I envy your time and bravery. Good luck and keep posting.
    Kevin