1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Best sunlight angle for taking pictures of cars?

Discussion in 'Ford Pictures & Ford Videos' started by b3burner, Apr 26, 2016.

1. b3burner

b3burner Member

I'm curious if there's anyone out there who is an expert in auto photography (as it relates to putting together photos for sale and/or to showcase a car) that has an opinion of what is the best time of day to take pictures of your car? I know having the sun behind the camera, but not in such a low angle that you capture your own shadow in the foreground is a given. But in terms of the sun angle above the horizon, when is the best time? High noon, near sun rise or sunset, twilight, or some point in between? Is there an "agreed upon standard" or it's up to each individual and what effect they are trying to achieve?

I always thought picking a time of day AM or PM when the sun is near 45 degrees vertical above the horizon is a good middle of the road light angle for capturing both horizontal and vertical surfaces of the vehicle evenly. But maybe I'm approaching this in too technical a fashion and it's a much more artistic, intuitive thing than that.

Thanks,

-- John