1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Brake issues in Focus

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by felix975, Mar 17, 2017.

1. felix975

felix975 New Member

I have to discuss problems while applying brakes. My car is a 2011 model Ford Focus. It has covered more than 16000 km now. When I apply brakes some kind of strange sound is coming from the front side. I consulted one car mechanic in Toronto. He said, there could be some problems like faulty caliper or some issues with the pads and rotors. Also, I read about this in a blog (http://www.serviceplus416.com/brake-problems/4-reasons-why-your-cars-brakes-make-noise/). I would like to know about the lifetime of these spare parts in Focus. Thank you
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

It could be many issues like your mechanic said
    also could be in the axle shaft, CV joint, bent backing plate ,ABS sensor
    many more things.
    Never the less you are going to have someone look at it.
    Replacement parts don't go cheap and remember they only pay labor if the part is under Warranty
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Brake friction material has a life based on use and environment. The harder the use the shorter the life. Front pads do most of the heavy lifting when coming to a stop so they typically wear twice as fast as the rears. Under normal use 30,000 to 40,000 miles (48,000 to 64,000 km) would be considered good.

As the article in the link in your post, dust, rust and salt are issues that either just make brakes noisy OR promote faster wear out. Getting the front brakes inspected at the oil change service would prudent. At 16,000 km if you are not close to an oil change have the tires rotated and brakes inspected. The noise may be bothersome because of debris. Or it could be more serious. An inspection that should take less than 5 minutes if the car is off the ground or 10 minutes if on the ground just makes sense.

If the cause is due to the environment know that there are several things in action.
    Cleaning may remove the sound however the vehicle is still operating in the environment that attracted the debris.
    Different friction material on the brake pads will react differently with the debris present. May have to do with cost and I am not convinced of that.
    A hot brake into cold water is an invitation for collection of debris into the brakes. Avoid water, snow and slush as a general rule. In fact given the choice of cold dry payment and payment that has snow, ice, sleet, water ...... take the dry path.

Just my thoughts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. Cap'n Cranky

Cap'n Cranky New Member

I had a focus that had noisy brakes. I went through it and looked fot everything I could find as far as signs of loose parts, abnormal wear, and proper torque on all related fasteners.
    At the end, i figured out the rotors has not been properly machined. (NOT parallel faces , and center runout, stud holes too big) .
    So I replaced them with aftermarket units that I had a machinist buddy blueprint machine.
    Voila, problem greatly reduced!