1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

ca8a-9425-f

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by Tucker Wintermyer, Apr 8, 2018.

1. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member

Hey Mr. Action,
    Somehow I just KNEW you would! :)

Well, you see? There we go!

That'd be an "R-Code" Engine.

Anyway, isn't this fun?

JC
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The MPC did not list engine codes. It would be better if it did.

Because Ford was still involved with factory racing in that time frame, all kinds of manifolds are listed that were not used in regular production. Rather racing or off road applications are listed as well as regular production. Police would be considered regular production.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member

Hey Mr. Action,
    The "R-Code" was the "STAR" of the Ford Lineup. The "P-Code" was kind of a runner-up to the "R-Code" for being "rare".

Have an interesting anecdote about Ford Racing Equipment, and the "PI Catalog".

Some years ago, was doing a Brake Rebuild on Ms. American, and took the Front Brake Drums to M&M Auto Parts to have them turned. Much to my chagrin, was told by George of M&M that he couldn't turn the Drums because they would be out of Tolerance. What to do? Called Greg Donahue in Floral Gardens, Florida, and asked if he had NOS Brake Drums for a PI. He did. $140.00 each!

But then out of the blue, he said: "How would you like to have a set of Finned Aluminum Brake Drums?". I said, "I'd love to have Finned Aluminum Brake Drums, but they wouldn't be 'stock'." He replied that they WOULD be "stock", and went on to explain why.

Turns out that Ford was supplying NASCAR Teams with Finned Aluminum Brake Drums but was putting them in the PI Catalog. Therefore, technically, the NASCAR Finned Aluminum Brake Drums were "stock" for a Police Interceptor!

I asked how much they would cost? His reply was: "Are you sitting down?" I said "Yes." He said "$750.00 each!" I replied "Send me two... Cast Iron NOS Brake Drums!"

As an aside to this, the Cast Iron Drums arrived, and were installed. Took Ms. American out for a test Drive. First time to apply the Brakes, the Brake Pedal oscillated! The Drums turned out to be a little over 1/8" out of round, the result of having been stored for many years on edge. Had to have them turned to make them round again.

Anyway, are we hijacking Mr. TW's thread?

JC
  4. 70XL

70XL Active Member

If you are wanting to convert to a 4V intake, then you'd likely be better off going to an aftermarket aluminum intake, like the Edelbrock Performer, or Performer RPM. If you are hoping to improve the performance, then when converting to the a freer flowing intake will require uncorking the exhaust to take advantage of the greater intake capacity.
  5. redrag

redrag Active Member

actually uncorking the exhaust will do wonders with the stock intake
    Action likes this.
  6. Tucker Wintermyer

Tucker Wintermyer New Member

7. redrag

redrag Active Member

it is a 4 bbl, but not my choice for street driven car. it's single plane. dual plane prefered
  8. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Yes it is a 4V intake.

The seller does not know what he is selling based on this false statement, "his intake I was told was used by highway patrol cars in the 70's police interceptor, Ford used alot of Holley products I was told."

That intake may have been used on police cars AFTER the stoke intake was removed. Ford did not use a lot of Holley products. (They did use some and zero intake manifolds) Ford hired a lot of Holley engineers away from Holly.

As to usage, if you are going to use your car like a police interceptor this would be a good manifold to have. (It is a single plane, dump manifold - great for high RPM)

The question you need to ask yourself (unless you just want to buy stuff) is how am I going to use this vehicle? What RPM ranges? What out side temps?

And how much money do you want to spend. As an example that intake you linked has no stock choke features. Sure you can go with a more modern carb (mo money) and a electric choke (many be mo money) There are other things like vacuum connections, accelerator connections and .... With the same question, what are you using the vehicle for??? Because if you are driving it like a hobby car, at low RPM or idle and trips less than 25 miles with total usage of 5000 miles or less a year, this manifold will be a lot of effort, cost you some coin and operate the engine poorly. But it will look cool with the engine off and hood up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action