1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Can someone 'splain this

Discussion in 'Ford News' started by dieseldr63, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dieseldr63

dieseldr63 Member

A few years ago, Ford stopped producing a NOrth American small truck called the Ranger. As I understand it, the vehicle was still produced for Europe and most all the world, and furthermore it was also made available with a diesel powered model. Apparently, there is some legal issue or something that keeps these desirable small pickups with diesel engines from being made available to the American public. But on another note, Generousful Motors can release a small diesel powered automobile without incident or battle with any other entity. What gives?
  2. Dominick

Dominick Well-Known Member Respected Member

I would hazard a guess that is because the owe the Government money.
    I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who was small SUV or truck shopping.
    and comparing prices.
    I'm afraid he's going foreign cos of the price difference:(
  3. dieseldr63

dieseldr63 Member

But you can't buy any small pickup in the US with a diesel engine regardless if it is onshore or not. And the media will have us all believe that the GM money was all paid back with interest.... ? (not) Sorry, I get on a tangent sometimes.
  4. Dominick

Dominick Well-Known Member Respected Member

In the small trucks and I'm going way back in my poor little brain was the Dagenhiem made in England.
    Maybe it's the cost factor on maintaining them
    Heck I just don't know
  5. dieseldr63

dieseldr63 Member

I'm certain it's politics.
  6. ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI Well-Known Member Respected Member

I'll tell you exactly why Ford won't sell the Ranger here. They're worried about potentially losing their all-important sales lead the F150 has. So, consequently those of us who have no use for a GIANT truck have no other option at the blue oval.

As for diesel, I think Ford is waiting to see what happens with the GM and Dodge offerings. They've pinned all their hopes on EcoBoost and hybrids, and supposedly Americans just think diesels are smelly. Plus, it costs more here for some reason. I think THAT is politics.
    Dominick likes this.
  7. dieseldr63

dieseldr63 Member

I just pray if they do "diesel-ize" a ranger type smaal or mid truck, they do their own engine, and sidestep the class actions with an outside source. (Can you say six point oh?.... or four?)
  8. ZephyrEFI

No kidding.
  9. D.Acker

D.Acker Active Member

I think I read somewhere GM is planning on putting a diesel in the Colorado in the next couple years.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1280479-gm-to-introduce-new-colorado-with-a-diesel.html

I didn't understand Ford's killing of the Ranger here either. I had seen rumors it would be rebadged F-100 to fall in line with the rest of the trucks naming convention, guess not. :(
  10. dieseldr63

dieseldr63 Member

It's obvious the government is condescending to GM to "assist their bailout". If Ford did it, it would all be done within the company with Ford funding. Just me ranting... sorry.
  11. ZephyrEFI

You could be right about that.
  12. JBurke

JBurke New Member

A Ford retiree friend of mine says it stopped production because of cost factors but mainly due to Ford selling its stake in Mazda and not having the setup to produce the Ranger cost effectively from start to finish with out the Mazda parts
  13. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

If there enough people buying they would build. The market isn't that big. There are a lot of vehicles Ford (and others) no longer make because of the market place. Look at the body styles. How many 2 door models are being produced? Mustang is the only model that is dominately 2 door. Nothing else in 2 doors as there were 20 years ago. Look at the luxury segment, how many big personal luxury cars are being produced? (T-Bird and Mark series are both gone)

The market place changes and so does the vehicle manufacturers. Or they file BK.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  14. ZephyrEFI

What Mazda parts? The only one I know of for sure is the manual transmission. Everything else was Ford designed, including the Mazda B-series trucks. Not "cost effective" my ass. The thing's already been designed and for sale overseas for years. All they'd have to do is build it and sell it here, like GM did.
  15. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Little diesel engines and little Ford trucks. They did build them and no one came. It wasn't the Field of Dreams. The buying public that wants a truck bought a F-150.
    http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/04/usa-pickup-truck-sales-figures-march-2015-ytd.html

The guy that bought a little pick up either stepped up for a larger pick up truck or bought a small SUV because tehy didn't really want the pick up bed anyway.

As for Europe, well that is a totally different market where the cost of fuel is double or triple what it is here and the vehicle tax is based on engine size in addition to a road tax if you drive the in the mainland of Europe.

Buying a diesel engine for a vehicle that doesn't handle 15,000 or more doesn't work in the states. Gas and a gasoline engine is cheaper to buy, maintain and repair than an oil burner. And money is the usual reason people make a buying decision. (not always just usually)

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  16. ZephyrEFI

Well, it might have helped if Ford had bothered to update the Ranger from '97 on. Small changes to the body, and that's about all they did from then on. Maybe if they brought out something people could be excited about it would be different. But they don't care. All they want is to keep their precious sales lead with the F150 and a selling a Ranger here would jeopardize that. GM had hit bottom, and had a whole lot less to lose by trying it. The Colorado and Canyon are good efforts, with modern engines. I would never buy one because I bleed Ford blue, but I hope GM pushes them enough and they do well enough for Ford to take notice.

I'm not a truck guy. I don't see the point to them being so big and expensive. It's almost obscene. If I were to ever consider wanting the capability of a truck, the F150 being the only option would cure me of that thought quickly.