1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

cheap exhaust stud fix at exhaust manifold and (exhaust) pipe

Discussion in 'Ford Expedition' started by 98EB5.4, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 98EB5.4

98EB5.4 Member

Broke a stud pax side, saw a part you could get in the old forums, to fix the problem cheap.

Can't find that stud repair/replacement part?

Area is where the exhaust pipe joins up to the manifold (2 studs per side).
  2. Lip Ripper

Lip Ripper Member

Yeah, I have seen these little clamps for that. I don't know if they're sold by exhaust companies or if it's more of a wagon pedeler's hardware item. I suppose a Meineke or a Midas shop would be where to start.

LR
  3. Lip Ripper

Lip Ripper Member

Clamp-a-stud JC Whitney
  4. 91xltlariat

91xltlariat Active Member

mark v and Dominick like this.
  5. 98EB5.4

98EB5.4 Member

thx ..used a few hose clamps (cross X pattern) for now, more details to come but the manifold appears to only have a boss on one side for those fixes to work, looks like there are already a few Clamp-a-studs on the other (manifold) side though

figure doubling or tripling the (large) hose clamps should work
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. Lip Ripper

Lip Ripper Member

You need manifolds!
  7. mark v

mark v Well-Known Member Respected Member

Now that is a sweet repair kit.

8. expyguy

expyguy New Member

I used a c-clamp on mine like 6 months ago and its still holding fine.. just my 2 cents.. lol
  9. 98EB5.4

98EB5.4 Member

no issues so far, added another hose clamp,

edit - looks like the 2 original hose clamps loosened up a bit adding the 3rd made a noticeable diff with the pfft noise, i'll re-tighten 'em all. the rest is from the manifold to head studs, been like that now for ~ 2 years since purchased with ~ 370 clicks, still only pffts a bit but got some stainless studs so far
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  10. 98EB5.4

98EB5.4 Member

are the dorman's a bolt on with the standard exhaust pipes?
  11. 98EB5.4

98EB5.4 Member

here's why the usual fix won't work on one side of the pax side manifold

Attached Files:

12. mark v

mark v Well-Known Member Respected Member

OK just ordered that Home-hush stud fix kit for my 1998 Explorer.
  13. 98EB5.4

98EB5.4 Member

update, one of the clamps snapped but still held together with the others,

just added another and so far so good
  14. Jesse P Knight

Jesse P Knight New Member

Can I do a dual exhaust on a 5.4 L 4X4 1998 Expedition? I have Stainless Headers and want to run 3 inch out to thrust Cherry Bomb glass-packs. No cats. I will put in the O2 sensors in the similar same spot is this going to work?
  15. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

There are two factors -
    Will it fit and will it work

As to will it fit, either you are getting a kit and the kit maker can answer the fitment question. Or you will have it custom made. I suppose anything is possible, because either you will leave the shop and it fits or leave without the work done. It is a custom job.

Will it work??? May be. The engine controls are set up with everything as a system. You will be modifying the exhaust back pressure and eliminating the cats. (Why you are eliminating the cats I don't understand) You will have a constant check engine light on because of the O2 sensor signal after the cat not sensing any change. So the electronic engine control will attempt fuel trim based on a bad signal. And there will be an underlying issue of back pressure difference. Not sure how this will negatively impact the operation of the engine.

I would suggest a cat back system change. One which the exhaust system is modified after the cats. This will not negatively impact the operation of the engine. Just a suggestion.

If you want I have a question - what is your goal in changing the exhaust system?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  16. Jesse P Knight

Just figuring out this site I may be posting on the wrong spots. But here it goes again in case you missed it. The goal is to keep from installing inferior Parts on my motor again. I was very impressed with getting 250,000 miles out of the original spark plugs. But not impressed with a $900 price tag at the shop for replacing them. I have visions of Grave Digger when I look at my truck , the power, the turning radius. I don't want to just put a couple TVs in it and a loud stereo and leave it on the pavement.
  17. Action

"Just figuring out this site I may be posting on the wrong spots."

You have and that is OK

"I have visions of Grave Digger when I look at my truck , the power, the turning radius. I don't want to just put a couple TVs in it and a loud stereo and leave it on the pavement"

OK And so you want to modify it. If the goal with the exhaust is a sound change, then you want some type of cat back system. Leave the cats there and all 4 O2 sensors. Install your muffler mods or leave the mufflers off and run the pipes out behind or in front of the rear wheels.More than that in the exhaust system and you are going to mess up how it runs.

If you are looking for the power of Grave Digger then you are talking way more than the exhaust system and you need some good financial capital as well. The current engine controls need to be reworked or eliminated. And to start with different injectors, throttle body, intake, cam and lifters .. and if you want to get serious then a charger or blower will be needed.

So the question becomes what is your goal. With the unspoken question is how much money do you have to throw at the goal?

>>>>>Action
  18. Jesse P Knight

So we're not talking Millions here. But performance over sound for for sure. I'm looking at a settlement from a work injury and going to get a new truck and turn the old truck into Ford's version of Daisy Dukes Jeep Wrangler. I got the hot blonde, and the expy is white. Are there any kind of aftermarket body kits to go more of a Ford Bronco Style with this? Roll bars? Removable top?
  19. Jesse P Knight

20. Action

Removing the cats will not gain performance unless you are doing other things to the engine internally. Do some research on cat back systems. There are some bolt on kits that will give you some boost. (no making up a system) And you may need to increase the air coming in after you get that air moving out.

As to a Bronco look a like ... No there are no kits for that. However if you wait for just a bit Ford will release the real thing. A new Bronco is coming. Ford has been rather quiet about the release.
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32196/new-ford-bronco-official-photos-info/

>>>>>>>>>Action