1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

clunk when automatic changes gear

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by aussie jason, Dec 6, 2017.

1. aussie jason

aussie jason Member

hi,
    when slowly increasing my speed and i get to around 60kph (37mph!), if i take my foot off the gas pedal to cruise the automatic will change into a higher gear as normal. however when it does there is often a loud clunk. yesterday i even felt the clunk in my seat, the whole van shook. should i be concerned?
    1988 econoline 302 with automatic code T

regards
    jason
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

I'd check for a bad carrier bearing that supports the driveshaft or a bad u-joint
    excessive play in the rear axle would do the same thing
    aussie jason and Action like this.
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

^^^^^^Those are high suspect areas. You have an automatic overdrive. Back during that time period there was an issue with too much clearance for a bearing that is between two shafts. It is a torrington bearing. There is a shim that can be installed to take up the space and the entire transmission has to come apart. Check all of the drive line parts listed above and correct any of those.
    Service the transmission and look for metal in the bottom of the pan. If little to none just live with the clunk unless you want to spend a lot of money and time to fix it.

>>>>>>>>>Action
    aussie jason likes this.