1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Donna

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger' started by Donna, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Donna

Donna New Member

I am having several problems with my 99 ranger that I hope someone can help me with. The 1st is my 4 x 4 high and low has started to flash. One guy told me if I let the battery drain all the way down I need to lift the positive off the battery. I did indeed have a dead battery but that can't be true is it. I'm thinking wires or something.
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Check the wiring to the transfer case motor
    another thing it could be a locked up transfer case motor
    Try tapping it gently with a small hammer and see if it loosens up
  3. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

Regardless of the advice from "one guy", ALWAYS disconnect a battery by removing the negative cable first.
    --> Negative cable should be last on, first off...

If, while loosening the positive cable first, you inadvertently touch metal with the wrench, you run a great risk of electrical faults, burned fingers, jewerly etc.!

Kevin
  4. Donna

Donna New Member

Thanks I disconnected the negative wire and it seemed to work but then after awhile it did the same thing agsin
  5. Donna

Donna New Member

Thanks for the advise. I'm at my daughter's so I haven't checked under the truck but I will try your suggestion as soon as I'm home
  6. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

"Thanks I disconnected the negative wire and it seemed to work but then after awhile it did the same thing agsin"

What this means -
    There is an intermittent issue or fault. By disconnecting the battery you wiped out the memory of past issues or faults. This is a good strategy if the issue has been repaired. Because the computer "stores" the fault code in memory. By disconnecting the battery that memory has been effectively erased, cleared or wiped.

In your case the memory was erased or cleared. And all was good for some time. Then the fault occurred again and warning lamp flashed or came back on. This is important to a tech diagnosing the issue. Because the issue is not acting up all the time. It is an intermittent issue.

I am not that familiar with electronic 4X4 diagnosis. I have found some things on line for that and it would require using a multi-meter and measuring volts and ohms. Are you up for that???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

I've never tried it but many (most?) of the well-known parts stores claim to offer to plug in their OBDII readers for some insight? Is that worth a try?

Kevin
    Action likes this.
  8. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

^^^^^ I have gone to AutoZone to have this done. ^^^^^^

Sometimes the store doesn't have a working tester. Sometime the skill level of the store employee is somewhat questionable to operate the tester. And most of the time the store employee will pull the codes and give you a list of the codes. They want to sell parts and that is why they do this.

Donna, not sure where you are located (you didn't complete your profile with city & state) From the Auto Zone website https://www.autozone.com/

awww.autozone.com_images_MEDIA_ProductCatalog_m5810002_hp_fix_finder_logo.png Find out why your Check Engine Light is on for Free!
    https://www.autozone.com/landing/pa...0823_post_diy_codeblock_fix_finder_learn_more

>>>>>>>>>>Action