1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Electrical Access

Discussion in 'Interiors, Sound & Security Systems' started by Joe645, May 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM.

1. Joe645

Joe645 New Member

Does anyone know if there is an access point under dash through the firewall to run an electrical connection to fuse box? Looking for easiest 12v (keyed off/on) point.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Need a little bit more info.

What type of vehicle?
    How much current needed?
    Are you looking for a connection inside the vehicle or under the hood?

Many newer vehicles have a power relay that powers down the inside of the vehicle after the car is shut down. Meaning the cigar lighter (Or called a power point) is turned off or can be turned off. This would be EZ.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Joe645

Joe645 New Member

Yes, I guess I should have left a bit more info. Auto is a 05 Ford 500 Limited. I have a hard wire female lighter connection that I want to hook up to keyed 12v to power a radar detector and/or GPS device. I want to run from interior under dash to under hood (fuse box connection). I don't think either draws much current.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Thanks.

Not sure why you want to run a circuit from under dash to under hood. Unless you are looking to run from the central junction box to inside the vehicle. If that is what you are asking there are several entry points from the engine compartment to the interior. Or you can drill a samll hole and seal up after the wire is run through.

On my '06 Lincoln the front cigar lighter (power point) is powered all the time and is switchable on and off. All other cigar light/powewr pointss are hot all the time.

If low enough current you could tap into something that is switched on. Like the power seat circuit. DO NOT tap into any light or lamp circuit.

If you have front wheel drive only there is a circuit and relay for all wheel drive. That would be an excellant circuit to tap into. Same for trailer tow brake circuit. In addition under the hood there should be a central junction box. (Fuse and circuit breaker box) There is a relay for accessories. That relay has a delay in it so that power demand is delayed while the engine starts up. Or there are two un-used slots in that box on my ride as well. Yours should be similar.

If you don't have one invest in a shop manual or wiring diagram.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Joe645

Joe645 New Member

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I did find a wiring diagram and will look for the spots you indicated.