Ford Automobiles banner

First post Probably a dumb question.....

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  nycstlrr 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I just picked up a 64 base model 4 door Falcon. I had a 68 about 35 years ago but it was totaled when I was rear ended. Anyways, can anyone help with the input spline size on the 3 speed tranny? Is it .937 or 1.063? I knew at one point but that all disappeared many years ago. Also, anyone know if Hurst still make a compatible floor shifter? My 68 had one and I wouldn`t mind having one in the 64. Thank you, Bill

#2 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Input shaft as in the shaft that engages the clutch?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

#7 ·
Yes sir, that is one I am talking about. The car was built 4/22 of 1963 but it a 64, through and through. The tranny code is 1, don`t know if that helps or not. Rear axle code is 3. It is a 170 straight six. I can try to help with more info, if needed and thank you so much everyone!! Bill Oh, spline count should be 10.

#3 ·
There were two three speed tannys, a 2.77 and a 3.03. That designation being the actual distance between the centerlines of the input shaft and the counter shaft. The 2.77 was used on 144 and 170 cid engines. The 3.03 was used on the V8.
Sorry but the FSM does not give input shaft diameter info--just clearances.

#4 ·
The master parts cat may give that detail.

I can look that up when I get home to see if there is some type of notation. I have never had any manual transmissions so my experience is very limited for that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

#5 ·
Hurst (http://www.hurst-shifters.com) lists a shifter and an installation kit for the first generation Mustang V8 (i.e., the 3.03 unit as noted above) and for the Fairlane, so perhaps you should investigate if there are fitment issues with the floor hump of a Falcon.

Sympathies on the loss of your '68. My first Mustang was clobbered by a knucklehead that ran a red light in August 1982 (dang - almost 35 years ago).
Congrats and good luck with your new ride.
Kevin
PS - welcome to FFO and you did not ask a dumb question imho.

#6 ·
OK seems I may have gotten more than I understand.
First the reference I am pulling from.
This is the 1965 to 1972 Ford Master Parts Cat. (Part numbers and data may be available pre-1965 and I do not have that pats listing) Both transmisisons are listed -
The 2.77 was used from 1965 to 1967
The 3.03 was used from 1965 to 1972

The input shaft - 7017- used for the 2.77 in the above years is 3 different part numbers. In addition to the part number the catalog lists teeth count, splines and length. Varies by engine (200 or 170) model and year.

The input shaft - 7017- used for the 3.03 in the above years is 9 different part numbers. In addition to the part number the catalog lists teeth count, splines and length. Varies by engine (six and V8) model, year, built date and in the case of Bronco serial number.

The catalog does not list shaft diameter only teeth count, number of splines and shaft length.

The '64 Falcon could have a six or an eight so I am unclear as to which transmisison your vehicle has. If I narrowed the search to 1965 Falcon with a specific engine Imay be able to give you the part number teeth count, spline count and shaft length.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

#8 ·
I stated above I do not have the 60-64 Ford Master Parts Cat. I do have the 60-64 Lincoln Mercury Master Parts Cat. (Hey I like Lincolns more than Ford what can I say?)

So using both catalogs which are set up differently. (GO figure) The LM Cat does not give dimensions it only gives transmission acse tags. The Ford cat gives the data however from the two I think we can make a match.

65-72 Ford lists two possible transmisisons (both the 2.77 and 3.03) for '65 Falcon (X body) with a 170 engine. Actually the 3.03 will fit 6 & 8.
C2DZ-7017-B is 16-24 gear teeth, 10 splines and 7 25/32" long (2.77 tranny)
OR
C4AZ-7017-F is24-33 gear teeth, 10 splines and 8 1/4" long (3.03 tranny)

60-64 LM lists one part number for a 1964 Comet with a 3 speed (Tranny tag code HEF) C4AZ-7017-F.
For 1964 Comet there is a 4 speed possible as well with a different part and code.

I believe the C4AZ-7017-F is 24-33 gear teeth, 10 splines and 8 1/4" long (3.03 tranny) is your piece. If the transmisison still has a metal tag you are looking for HEF stamped into it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

#9 ·
Lets come at this from a slightly different angle. Part # 7025 is the input shaft bearing. Parts Book gives the following info for the 2.77 Transmission --Input shaft 1 3/8 " ID 2 28/32" OD 1/16" wide.
If I read that right, the bearing ID should be pretty close to the shaft OD, right?
For the 3.03 transmission as fitted to '63 and later Falcon --actually all car lines A, B and X ( not t bird, but Ford, Fairlanes and falcons) w/ 6 & 8 cyl engines--Input shaft bearing C3AZ 7025 C 1- 9/16 ID and C3AZ-7025 B 1- 3/8 ID
So, could be either 1 -9/16", or 1- 3/8" diameter on the input shaft.

#10 ·
^^^ That's a good idea?

>>>>>>>>>>Action

#13 ·
It would be nice, if I had the $$$ for one. The bosses 04 Mustang GT has sole ownership of the garage. I have another garage behind it but if you put a Cavalier in it, you don`t even have the room to work on it. The garage was built in the teens or twenties and a farmer told my uncle to haul it away, so when they lived here, they brought it in by way of a hay cart! A small tractor would fit in it real good. Oh well, if the tag is still on that tranny, I will get to it somehow!

#14 ·
I waited a long time. I am now 67, but I spent years rolling underneath--even working on a sloping driveway. I restored a '64 Falcon Sprint Convert in a garage that was 12'wide and 22' long. The cost of the lift was surprising--I got an xtra long 4 post 8000# installed for $3000. It fits my supercab F250 diesel--but just barely.

#15 ·
Wow that is a good price or they have come down in price. I had them at $4000 delivered and not installed.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

#16 ·
I agree.
I used these guys---they sell in the Mid Atlantic, so not for you, but reasonable. I dealt with Shawn, and he was very good--sold me the right lift, and came out to install it. A 4 post is more of a project than a 2 post to install. He and a helper did it in 3 hours. Of course they are familiar with the lifts, but it would have taken me a couple of days. They wasted no steps--like they had done it before (!). No reading and re-reading the manual and trying oi identify parts. They just got 'er done.
http://www.liftsplusdepot.com/

#17 ·
Would love to have one. I have plenty of room to add another garage behind the two I have!! But, it is just a fantasy. I have a slew of health problems and shouldn`t even be alive right now. The Falcon, is supposed to help me, in a way. keep my mind occupied and off the constant pain I am in. So far, I have just been looking up parts, wondering if I will need this, or that, etc. So, it has kept me occupied. I did order a heater core yesterday, since the previous owner took the heater box out, because it was missing a few clips down the one side and he cracked it in the process. All is fixable but I will need to order a new plenum and defroster hoses. he also took the outside mirrors off??? So, I need to find a set of those. It will for sure keep me busy, just as long as I don`t over do it and end up back in the meat factory....... Thank you everyone for your help!

#18 ·
Hurst (http://www.hurst-shifters.com) lists a shifter and an installation kit for the first generation Mustang V8 (i.e., the 3.03 unit as noted above) and for the Fairlane, so perhaps you should investigate if there are fitment issues with the floor hump of a Falcon.

Sympathies on the loss of your '68. My first Mustang was clobbered by a knucklehead that ran a red light in August 1982 (dang - almost 35 years ago).
Congrats and good luck with your new ride.
Kevin
PS - welcome to FFO and you did not ask a dumb question imho.
The shifter was mounted on the side of the hump. My knee always had a big ole bruise on it, from the shifter ball smacking my knee at every single bump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.