1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Flex-- What year has best rep?

Discussion in 'Ford Flex' started by b3burner, Jul 31, 2017.

1. b3burner

b3burner Member

For some reason, I am fascinated by these cars. I don't usually pay much attention to new cars (I find today's crop of new cars' overall jelly-bean generic design to be boring)... but something catches my eye about the Flex that's different. It's long, it's got many right angles-- reminiscent of 60's and 70's full sized cars (which I do like), it's got height, but not so much height that it takes away from its length, thereby ensuring that it doesn't appear too "squatty" (like a lot of cars made after 1999). A nice combination of geometry and style. At least in my opinion.

However, that being said, hot dang skippy, they sure do want the king's ransom for that car! Now I know why people who look at those at first, usually wind up going the Edge, Explorer route. I believe a Wikipedia search told me that this car started being made and sold in the U.S. in model year 2009. Obviously a used '09 should statistically be cheaper than each successive year thereafter (unless there's a great difference in mileage between subsequent years); but what I'm really curious about is what are the distinguishing changes in the flex between 2009 and 2017 (soon to be 2018)? Are there any style differences involving shape and geometry, or the changes are cosmetic and feature'ish on the inside and/or performance differences under the hood?

Is there any particular year of this car that had a better or "the best" reputation out of all of them (in regards to reliability, appearance, features, etc.? Or are they all pretty much equal? Final question: Is Ford Motor Co. still planning on ending production of the Flex in 2020 (as I believe I read in an online article somewhere), or was that a nasty rumor?

Thank you for your time,

-- John
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/flex/