1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

How-To: Ford Escape repair

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by randy sawyer, Feb 15, 2018.

1. randy sawyer

randy sawyer New Member

Hi, Randy here,

Just joined into your clan. Have 2003 Escape and wondering if I need to pull the engine in order to replace the oil pump.. I am getting different messages across the board. Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

In 2003 Escape came in several flavors. 3 engine choices and 3 transmission choices. And I believe you could have this as 2WD or AWD. Not to mention hybrid as well.

With all of those options the answers may be different on different applications. Generally speaking to remove the oil pump you will have to remove the oil pan. To remove the oil pan the engine will have to be lifted some or removed.

If the engine mounts can be removed, the front drive mechanism is not interfering, and the rear driveline can be disconnected, it may be possible to get enough clearance with the engine raised pivoting on the transmission mount to remove the oil pan and then remove the oil pump. That may not be an authorized repair and a shop manual may have directions to the different. Call it a possible cheat.

If I were replacing the oil pump I would give this a shot. I have done this method on several older vehicles and have been successful. The latest one was in 2010 on a 351 in a 1990 E series van. Vehicle built in the last 10 to 15 years are much more complex.

I would also ask WHY? Why are you replacing the oil pump? If the pump is not supplying enough pressure consider engine parts further away from the pump may have gotten insufficient lubrication and experiences wear. Usually this means the top end of the engine. Rocker arms, push rods or ?? In addition if there is a timing chain I would replace that. Timing chains are under a lot of stress and removing the oil pan is a major step to timing chain removal in some engines.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action