1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Help - Can anyone ID these brakes???

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by haltriumph, Apr 14, 2018.

1. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

Hi Everyone -

I am not a Ford guy, but a British car guy. I have a '51 Morris Oxford MO that at some point had its rear end replaced with something from a Ford. The brakes went bad and so I need to rebuild or replace the rear cylinders. But, I have no idea what they are!?! Can anyone ID them from these pictures? Please follow this link: https://cloud.boulder.swri.edu/index.php/s/61lUp77I7F6MRRC
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

That axle is a 4 lug axle. Likely from a Falcon or Mustang from the mid-1960s that had a 6 cylinder engine. Eight cylinder engine had a larger axle with 5 lugs. The inside of the brake drum would be about 9" in diameter. An example of this drum would be this listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Fo...ash=item5d7c59cd37:g:lewAAOSwQapauWvY&vxp=mtr

There may be a metal tag still on the axle housing on a bolt for the rear cover.

Here are pictures of that axle http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/127-0310-ford-differential-builders-guide/

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Action

4. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! The cylinder does look like the one on ebay, but I don't know that sizes, of course. The axial does have a tag. I think it says:
    CIDD4001 AL 103
    3.2 1E​
    I could not find anything on the web with an exact match, although I did find some reference to CIDD4001 that seems to indicate it is from a Falcon. See the additional pictures at https://cloud.boulder.swri.edu/index.php/s/PC4lZikfcVg7f1K
  5. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

I should have said that the drum you pointed to looks exactly like the one that I have. It is 9".

The cylinders that I see online for the Falcon don't look exactly like what I have. The Mustang one you pointed me to looks better. Should I try them?
  6. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

make sure you have the same cup size
  7. Action

Based on the tag data you have a very old Falcon axle (1961) with a 3.21 ratio gear set.

The wheel cylinder should be a C3DZ 2261 B
    3/4 cup
    At one point the original had a green paint stripe or paint daub
    1960-1964 Falcon

And depending on what part of the planet (I did ask where you are located) you are, a fast moving parts store in the US may have that n stock.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Dominick 1 likes this.
  8. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

Thanks! BTW: I am in Colorado.
  9. Action