1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Help - Can anyone ID these brakes???

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by haltriumph, Apr 14, 2018.

1. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

Hi Everyone -

I am not a Ford guy, but a British car guy. I have a '51 Morris Oxford MO that at some point had its rear end replaced with something from a Ford. The brakes went bad and so I need to rebuild or replace the rear cylinders. But, I have no idea what they are!?! Can anyone ID them from these pictures? Please follow this link: https://cloud.boulder.swri.edu/index.php/s/61lUp77I7F6MRRC
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

That axle is a 4 lug axle. Likely from a Falcon or Mustang from the mid-1960s that had a 6 cylinder engine. Eight cylinder engine had a larger axle with 5 lugs. The inside of the brake drum would be about 9" in diameter. An example of this drum would be this listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Fo...ash=item5d7c59cd37:g:lewAAOSwQapauWvY&vxp=mtr

There may be a metal tag still on the axle housing on a bolt for the rear cover.

Here are pictures of that axle http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/127-0310-ford-differential-builders-guide/

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Action

4. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! The cylinder does look like the one on ebay, but I don't know that sizes, of course. The axial does have a tag. I think it says:
    CIDD4001 AL 103
    3.2 1E​
    I could not find anything on the web with an exact match, although I did find some reference to CIDD4001 that seems to indicate it is from a Falcon. See the additional pictures at https://cloud.boulder.swri.edu/index.php/s/PC4lZikfcVg7f1K
  5. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

I should have said that the drum you pointed to looks exactly like the one that I have. It is 9".

The cylinders that I see online for the Falcon don't look exactly like what I have. The Mustang one you pointed me to looks better. Should I try them?
  6. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

make sure you have the same cup size
  7. Action

Based on the tag data you have a very old Falcon axle (1961) with a 3.21 ratio gear set.

The wheel cylinder should be a C3DZ 2261 B
    3/4 cup
    At one point the original had a green paint stripe or paint daub
    1960-1964 Falcon

And depending on what part of the planet (I did ask where you are located) you are, a fast moving parts store in the US may have that n stock.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Dominick 1 likes this.
  8. haltriumph

haltriumph New Member

Thanks! BTW: I am in Colorado.
  9. Action

10. Gary T

Gary T New Member

I'm impressed you came up with that information so quickly. Got time for another from a new guy ?
  11. Gary T

Gary T New Member

I'm trying to find a company that can provide me with a complete Mustang II ( or similar ) front suspension that will fit a '74 Ford E100 van. Haven't had any luck with the normal distributors and I'm waiting to hear back from Heidts but if anyone has done an E100 I'd really like to know who supplied the front suspension. Thanks for any info you can share.
  12. Action

Yes ..... and no.

A long time ago in a place far far away ... (Just because this is May the fourth don't get any ideas) I had a 1974 Ford E 100 with a 302 and a C4. Came from the factory with special order paint (Black) factory finished interior walls and factory AC. I bought it from my mom who bought it from the guy who ordered that from Ford. I owned for a little over a decade. Got real familiar with .... well just about everything. I modified it to pull a 7500 pound boat and trailer. The rear axle was not stock.

So I have to ask the question, why do you want to put a small car semi uni-body suspension under a truck? Specifically a twin I beam suspension?

>>>>>>>>>>Action