1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Help my neighbors - 2000 Windstar Factory Alarm is too sensitive

Discussion in 'Ford Windstar' started by HarveyCat, Sep 26, 2017.

1. HarveyCat

HarveyCat New Member

Help my neighbors - my 2000 Windstar's Factory Alarm is too sensitive - I would love to stop it from working or turn down the sensitivity. Trucks driving by set it off - I am never parked in front of my house - so my neighbors are starting to talk. Is there a fuse that will just kill this alarm and not my horn? Is there some adjustment to turn down? Is there some module to find and replace? Car runs fine and no other issues. Just the factory alarm goes off and flashes lights and honks horn at all hours when parked and locked.

Thanks!
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Could be door or hood switch needs to be adjusted. There should be a switch for each door and the hood. The hood switch is EZ to get to after opening the hood. The doors not so much.

Or a wiring issue like a wire is pinched or there is debris around a connector. Or a connector or ground is loose. This is a matter of just following the wiring around and checking connections and the harness.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. HarveyCat

HarveyCat New Member

Thanks - can I just bypass the hood switch (use thick wire to jumper past /without switch) - are the door switches cleanable or easy to see?
    ai.ebayimg.com_images_g_HkMAAOSwu4BV0PxC_s_l500.jpg

ai.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTIwMFgxNjAw_z_KaEAAOSw_gRV0Pw____57.JPG
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. Action

Hood switch - I think so. I have a '96 Mark VIII that the hood switch was easily adjustable, which I did adjust and fixed the issue I had. It was located near the battery. If it were me I would not cut wires to connect. The system may see a different resistance in the circuit and think that is an attempt to bypass system. (Steal the car)

The door switches should be viewable and not very accessible. They may be incorporated into the courtesy light switch or separate. I am not that familiar with minivans.

There may be a procedure to turn off the system. Reading the owner's manual may provide more insight on that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. HarveyCat

HarveyCat New Member

Thanks again - how do you adjust switch? Does it turn change height?

If anyone has the owner's manual or any info on turning it off that would be good.
  6. Action

The switch in the pic may be adjustable under the rubber boot. If not there may be an adjustment in the mounting of that switch.

Owner's manual - Maybe a free electronic version if Ford goes that far back. 17 years is a long time.
    Go to Ford.com. Click on owner. then you would have to register your vehicle to have access. There are other benefits to registering like owner notification for recalls and other service issues.

If not available there, hard copy is usually available at ebay for a smaller fee than helminc.com which is the publisher for Ford manuals.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. HarveyCat

HarveyCat New Member

So I opened the hood and the switch mount seemed to be bent slightly downward - so I bent it upward and closed the hood -- time will tell -- and so will likely my neighbors. haha thanks!
  8. Action

Do let us know.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  9. HarveyCat

HarveyCat New Member

Well Thanks - so far so good - and it has been a few days now!!!
    Action likes this.
  10. HarveyCat

HarveyCat New Member

Would this apply to the Windstar? I saw it online -- can I turn the alarm off - not having any issues now -just wondering...

========
    How to Disable Anti-Theft on a Ford

Press the unlock button on your vehicle's key fob to deactivate the alarm. If you've misplaced your remote for the car, use the PATS programmed key to unlock the driver's side door. Then, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. The vehicle's battery should be on, but the engine shouldn't be running.

Locate the override button on the alarm box, beneath the driver's side of the dashboard. Press the button and hold it in until the alarm beeps one time. The LED light for the alarm should stop blinking, indicating the anti-theft system is disabled.

To reset the vehicle's alarm, put the PATS programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. Press the override button. When the alarm resets, it chirps two times and the LED light begins blinking.

Items you will need
    • Alarm keypad

• PATS programmed ignition key