1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

How To Fix Ford Escape Electric Power Steering

Discussion in 'Ford Escape' started by dan22, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Pete Hagen

Pete Hagen New Member

I checked the vehicle for the recall and it did not apply. The Ford garage quoted $1,600 to replace the steering column. So far I have $100 in the one from the local junk yard. My only concern is whether I have to realign the lower assembly to match neutral wheel position since I do not know the wheel position of the vehicle in the junkyard where the part was removed. I assume the steering wheel in this car turns more than one rotation in each in direction so perhaps it does not matter.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Sorry, I am not sure. I wish I knew more for you on this concern.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Hannahb31092

Hannahb31092 New Member

Hi guys! I just bought a steering column from a junkyard and replaced the lower half into my 2008 Ford Escape XLT 6 cylinder. Unfortunately after the replacement it seems 2 things have happened. 1) I’m occasionally getting tight steering when turning. The steering will work just fine when turning back the other direction, and if I continue to drive or turn off the car the steering will work just fine after turning the car back on. 2) I’m now hearing a strangle rattle when I hit some bumps while driving, one that wasn’t there before replacing the column. It sounds like it’s coming from the steering from the steering column or somewhere around the drivers size. Does anybody have any experience with this and can help me out?
  4. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

This may help you on the rathttp://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/front-end-rattle-over-bumps-stabilizer-links.12513/tle
  5. James Rustle

James Rustle New Member

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. Power steering died. Picked up 2011 steering column. Took it to a mechanic and he fought with it for 4 hours to get the old stuff out. Put the new in and told me that the computer in the new wheel doesn't want to play with the computer in the car. Also told me that old wheel shaft is slightly different than new shaft so it doesn't fit. Anyone have any ideas about that? Mechanic was obviously trying to replace entire steering column and not just lower, because he said new lower and old upper didn't fit.
  6. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

I would recommend in the used parts world to get parts that are the same and known to be working.

The second generation Escape Hybrid was introduced in 2008. However the 2009 got some significant changes. It is unclear to me if those changes included the power steering system. However the weight of the car changed so the power steering system may have changed to accommodate that weight increase.

There are interchange manuals most wrecking yards use. It is called a Hollander. That would be a good reference. For your 10 year old vehicle another source would be a Ford parts catalog. However an assembly like a steering column is not going to be listed. Only the individual parts. And that listing may only be available at a dealership.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. TerryLee59

TerryLee59 New Member

Many thanks to all that contributed to the thread.
    I was able to complete the sensor replacement on my 2010 Hybrid and all is well.

You do not need to remove the steering wheel as other posters mentioned. remove the plastic shroud around the ignition. Then remove the two large bolts and the whole upper half of the steering column pulls out.
    The hardest part is you are going to need a bad ass pair of spring clip removers. Getting the spring clip back in was quite a challenge but I persevered. :)
    The Ford replacement part came with an alignment tool and very clear printed instructions.
    Along with several you tube videos made the job easier.

I have attached a scan of the Ford instructions that came with the OEM part

Attached Files:

Dominick 1 likes this.
  8. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Thank you for posting your fix