1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Inexpensive van for cross country move

Discussion in 'Ford E-Series' started by flyinbaldeagle, May 16, 2018.

1. flyinbaldeagle

flyinbaldeagle New Member

Hi, I'm moving from Illinois to California in the near future. A rental box truck is about $2,000. I figure if I buy a sub-$5k cargo van in good condition I could not waste the $2,000, have a van while a find something more suitable for the city, and hopefully lose a lot less than $2,000 in value on my way there.

However, I'm concerned with something majorly breaking down while I'm on my journey. Any common problems or considerations that might introduce a long wait for a repair or large cost? I'm finding a good amount of late 90's and early-mid 2000's econolines, approx 150K miles, and around $3k.

Would greatly appreciate any insight!
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO.

It is all about maintenance. If the previous owner(s) have done the maintenance you are good to go. There isn't a common problem or issue with these work horses. They were generally very well received by commercial users. The Econoline like other vehicles does not do well if not maintained.

If the oil is clean, the transmission fluid does NOT smell burned and the coolant looks clean you should be good. Once you buy it you might invest in changing those fluids to be sure. Another general rule if the above things are good, if the rest of the truck looks nice, chances are the owner spend time, effort and money to take care of the maintenance.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    flyinbaldeagle likes this.
  3. flyinbaldeagle

flyinbaldeagle New Member

Sounds like good advice, thank you!