1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Love Our New Family Vehicle!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ZephyrEFI, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI Well-Known Member Respected Member

Well, it's been six months in the making, but we finally we able to pick up our new Transit Connect the other day! We decided to special order it because Titaniums were usually equipped with the glass roof, and we didn't want that. Little did we know it would take so long to accomplish. Apparently the factory only builds the passenger version a couple of times a year, and focuses mostly on the work van version.

Anyway, it's a Titanium Long Wheelbase version that's mostly loaded. The Titanium comes pretty well equipped with leather, Sync 3, dual zone climate control, heated seats, and many other things. We added the mid-vehicle in-ceiling storage, reverse sensing, and 17" wheels. We also swapped out the standard captain's chairs for the second row bench. It just seemed more practical for our kids being 3 and 5.

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e17_bjkrekelberg_Thread_20Pics_IMG7b04d0e29b0989303f4be614c77fdbe6.jpg

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e17_bjkrekelberg_Thread_20Pics_IMG54da01748a3c5585dde5ceac438bd569.jpg

Very familiar dash to a former Focus owner!
    ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e17_bjkrekelberg_Thread_20Pics_IMG1e387809373f62be2be92a360077b433.jpg

Seats fold SUPER flat for tons of cargo space for hauling! No more borrowing trucks for me!
    ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e17_bjkrekelberg_Thread_20Pics_IMG_20170414_124649621_zpsexmrwp4u.jpg

The thing LOOKS big, but it's totally not. Check out the proportions next to the Fusion.
    ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e17_bjkrekelberg_Thread_20Pics_IMG_20170414_173239483_zpskn5krhcp.jpg

And the driving position is very low, despite the high roof. It can't be much higher than the Fusion's. As a family we just needed more room, and I just couldn't justify the premium you pay for a crossover vs. a similar size sedan. Have you seen what the Explorer goes for? It's ridiculous! Not only that, crossovers are SO inefficient with their interior space. The TC is leaps and bounds better in that regard. What I really would've liked to have had was a wagon (with a manual, dammit!), but if I'm going to have something that doesn't drive as nice as a sedan (crossover, van, truck), I'm going to have ALL the interior space its high proportions promise.
    pkevins and Action like this.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Manual transmissions are being discouraged. With electronic automatic transmissions they are more fuel efficient. If manufacturers can eliminate building a major assembly (like a manual transmission) then they can build more efficiently and drop costs. Less design cost, less option choices and more efficient assembly.

Same thing with some accessories.
    Power windows versus manual windows.
    Power door locks
    Outside key locks

Things that have been standard for a long time -
    Power steering
    Power brakes
    Disc brakes

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. ZephyrEFI

BUT, these are built in Spain, no doubt at the same factory the Europe market ones are built. Europeans would riot if a manual wasn't offered, so that configuration DOES exist. They're just jerks and don't let us buy it.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Again it is to meet a federal standard. Automatics get better fuel economy because of the electronics.

If you want to call some one a jerk, aim that at the US Congress. They create the laws.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. ZephyrEFI

Works for me