1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Mushy brake pedal on 2005 freestar

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by timmytaurus, Dec 7, 2013.

1. timmytaurus

timmytaurus New Member

Pedal almost goes all they way to floor. Prior owner says it's always been that way. Something common that the 2005 freestars had going on? Vacuum? Wrong or bad brake fluid? Chinese Brake fluid?
  2. makuloco2000

makuloco2000 Active Member Respected Member

They are all like that
  3. wab841

wab841 New Member

4. wab841

wab841 New Member

I have a 2004 freestar and fixed the spongy brake pedal . I had to replace both rear calipers because they would not turn back in ,I also put new brake pads and rotors . Then bled all four calipers starting with the right rear ,then the left rear until I didn't hear any air in the lines .Went back up to the master cylinder to check the fluid level and repeated bleeding the front right caliper then the left caliper ,make sure you check the brake fluid resivour and fill if needed ,brake pedal should be not spongy ,if still is ,this will sound stupid but ,the emergency brt lever adjusts the rear brake pads a outward to grab onto the brake rotor so ppull up on the handle a few times to adjust the rear brakes to have a better brake pedal unless you have worn brake pads that will also cause a spongy brake pedal .Four wheel discs are nice for the stopping ability but once the brake pads get worn below half life the brake pedal is spongy .Also the ford freestar or the Mercury van have antilock brakes ,that abs motor will also cause a spongy brake pedal ,check the brake lining and try the e brake handle while sitting still ,just apply it and release it about 5 to ten times to screw out or adjust the rear caliper piston outward to adjust the rear brakes then see how your brake pedal feels .
    All of the Above is what I have done and my freestar has a good hard brake pedal ,good luck ,hope this helps
  5. wab841

wab841 New Member

No they are not ,read my reply to the other persons post if you are mechanically handy what I posted below should help yours also . I have an 04 freestar and have a hard pedal
  6. Flyingjackal456

Flyingjackal456 Moderator Staff Member

I have a 1998 Windstar... If the brakes are in good shape, it's most likely the rear drums need to be adjusted, I have to adjust mine pretty often. The brake pedals on Windstars normally have a slightly mushy feel, but if you were to really press the pedal all the way down, you should be able to get the tires (even good tires, with plenty of tread) to slip.chirp, activating the ABS on dry pavement.

• Bleed the brakes, rear right, rear left, front right, front left
    • Adjust the parking brake assembly (use the handbrake to slow down while rolling backwards a few times) The adjusters on the rear drum brakes suck, and may require you to pull the rear drums, inspect/lube the adjuster assembly and reassemble. During reassembly, put the drum back on, and tighten 2 lug nuts on the spindle (no rim/wheel). You can manually adjust them with a small flat screwdriver just until the drums will drag. Remove the lugs, replace the rubber dust cap, and install the wheel/rim.
    • Inspect the front calipers, make sure the pins slide freely, pads have material left, and the rotor is wearing normally on both sides
    • If you have rear disc, check the pad material left, I've heard of Windstars with rear disc brakes having poor braking when the pads are worn more than 1/2 way.
    If you do all of these things, and you can't get the brakes pedal to firm up (or tires to squeal or ABS activation under heavy braking on dry pavement) Then you may have bigger issues, but lets start with these "free" things that you can try.
  7. timmytaurus

timmytaurus New Member

doing the parking brake 100 times helped a little. Both front new pads and rotors, both back pads, caliper, and rotor. New master cylinder. Switched the abs module and pump with one from a junk yard, serial numbers were far apart, just in case they had a bad run of those. Cardon who makes the booster, said a bad booster will never cause a mushy pedal. I'm out of ideas. that pedal goes 1/3 to 1/2 to the floor before it grabs, then its a mushy grab. Bleed them to death.

That push rod in that booster to the master doesn't seem to be adjustable? Read somewhere that ford put the wrong master on a bunch, but wouldn't Oreily's given me the right? Heard something about a "Shim" for non adjustible booster push rods?
    I've got a 17 year old daughter driving this car.
  8. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The #1 cause of a mushy pedal is air in the brake fluid system.

What vehicle is this about?
    Most master cylinder brake rods are non-adjustable.
    Cardon is correct, bad boosters only create a harder or more difficult brake pedal to push.
    When bleeding is any air coming out?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action