1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Need help desperately

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by PNGento, Aug 12, 2017.

1. PNGento

PNGento New Member

I'm trying to change out the rear brake pads on my daughter's 2011 MKX...but cannot for the life of me figure out how to collapse the piston...I have the caliper off but using pressure is not working. Do I turn in the piston perhaps? If so, in which direction to collapse it? Please help as I now cannot get the caliper back on, so really need the help before I start forcing things. LOL.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO.

If you must do repairs on your vehicle having a shop manual is nearly required. Professions use the manual. With that stated I do not have a MKX. I do have a Navigator with rear disc brakes. The Navigator has a rear single piston caliper with a mechanical parking brake that activates a shoe incorporated into the rear disc. From the Navigator shop manual in the rear brake section under pad removal and installation.

Remove pads from caliper
    With suitable clamp, press piston into the caliper.

Since these are different vehicles I can not say the procedures are the same.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. PNGento

PNGento New Member

Totally agree on everything you said. I have service manuals on all my vehicles, so know the value in that. But, this isn't mine and so no manual. Your procedures are exactly what I would have expected, but using the wood workers' clamp, it simply isn't collapsing the piston...worked perfect on the front brakes. Before I move to a better/stronger clamp, I wanted to know that is ok to do so before I use sufficient force to possibly do other unexpected damage...so hoping I can find someone who can say for sure, that it IS safe to use maybe something like a c-clamp.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Here is a vid that may be useful.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    redrag likes this.
  5. PNGento

PNGento New Member

Thank you very much...that was what I needed. Not sure why I didn't think of checking youtube. Was able to rent the caliper tool at O'Reilleys and job all done.