1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Need Some help/advise

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by 2thmax, Apr 12, 2018.

1. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

I am in the process of restoring/retromoding a 1699 Galaxie 500 XL Fastback that has some special meaning to my family. It was the first new car my father ever purchased and has remained in the family since that day. It sat outside for a long time and has the wear to show for it, but it has "good bones". I am a car guy but this is first attempt at resore/retromoding a vehicle. At this point I have a local mechanic who specializes in Fords and an old school body guy who is fantastic. So far I have purchased a stroker engine from CME, I'm having the C6 tranny rebuilt and torque converter made to handle the new power. I have installed 4 wheel disc brakes, Hotchkis full front and back suspension. My body guy is doing an off the frame restoration and this is where I need your help. I need a Right (Passenger's) Fender. Any and all input would be appreciated. THx
  2. DesertXL

DesertXL Active Member Respected Member

Hello 2thmax,

First, hello, now to try to answer your question. Since no one reproduces really any body panels worth a darn for the 1966 galaxie 500, your best bet will be trying places like CTC Auto Ranch in Texas (used them in the past) and Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona. These are common places people usually turn to. However being common places and with a now uncommon car (most of them crushed) if they don't have a decent wing/fender, then your next best recourse is Fleece-Bay, err E-Bay and Craigslist.

Sometimes you are relegated to buying an entire parts car for even just a few parts. My suggestion is try to inspect the wing/fender first if feasible, since chances are they will be quite pricey, shipping aside, chances of finding an unmolested 50+ year old body part for a 3rd generation galaxie will be quite slim.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but ironically I'm working on the same wing/fender you are looking for on our 1966 LTD. I have one from a parts car and it looked really good, but remove the paint and there's loads of filler plastered on it. I even bought a used pair from E-Bay a while back and whilst rust free they are not dent free. As you can see there's a high probability that even a used one will require copious amounts of work. Just be ready for that.

Good luck,

p.s. Do you have any pictures of it you would like to share?
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

I am assuming you do not have a 1699 Galaxie. That was a little before the company was founded. (1903) Do you have a 1966 Galaxie or a 1969 Galaxie?

The 1969 Galaxie was built with a fender extension. If you have a 1969 do you need the extension as well?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. Action

Two other suggestions. (One has already been made)

Post pictures no matter the condition. It may help us to help you. Or we may just find it neat to see another example.

Second suggestion - complete your profile with location. I assume you are in the States. (There are quite a few that are not) If that is accurate a city and state works well. If you want to find a fender and/or a parts car, location become pretty important.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

DesertXL,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, parts for this old girl have been hard to come by. I have many pics but will start with some before pics.
  6. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

1966-4.jpg 1966-2.jpg
  7. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

1966-3.jpg
  8. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

Here is one with my father standing by the car... 1966-1.jpg
  9. Action

Awesome '66 two door!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>Action
  10. DesertXL

I'm actually laughing at myself. My brain self corrected the 1699 to 1966 automatically. Yuppers it could have well meant to be a 1969.

But yes it looks to be, from the pictures, in relatively good shape. As Action posted, what is wrong with the passenger side front wing that it needs replacing?
  11. 70XL

70XL Active Member

That fender does not look bad in the pictures. If it has rust in some areas, then fabbing patches yourself are probably going to be the best bet if you can't find a good donor car. I think the fenders may be common across all body styles, but I cannot confirm that, which may permit you to more easily find a donor. Finding a whole car may be less costly than buying a fender from a big wrecking yard / recycler.
  12. Action

Full size Ford fenders are all the same regardless to model or body style except, trim holes or the lack of trim holes.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  13. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

Yes, the car (a 1966) is in Shelbyville, TN.
    see prior pics.

MM

Well, about 2 inches of filler and a patched piece of sheet metal. Once he got into it, my body guy says its beyond repair.
    I will post some pics taken so far during the body restoration. 661.png
  14. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

664.png
  15. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

665.png
  16. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

662.png
    Action likes this.
  17. Action

In Illinois. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-FORD-...ash=item3f56313f41:g:xUAAAOSw5VFWJlbe&vxp=mtr
    North Carolina https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-66-FO...ash=item4d6dae32c8:g:4CUAAOSwtBdagcET&vxp=mtr

Knoxville area https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/d/ford-galaxy-hoodgrill-fenders/6511761377.html

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  18. DesertXL

Hello 2thmax,

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Do you have pictures of the damaged area of the wing/fender?
  19. Browndogg

Browndogg New Member

Looking good.Cant wait to see the finished product.
  20. 2thmax

2thmax New Member

No, but I have seen it. Its pretty bad. The funny thing is the car has never left the family, but on one will claim the damage. I will try and remember to get a pic the next time I'm there.