Ford Automobiles banner

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  austin5517 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Full-size car
Greetings
I just bought a 61 Falcon station wagon. Am posting pix. I'll be needing some advice on repairs. The first thing I need is how to get the wipers working. Have about 16-17" of vacuum at the vacuum thing near the fuel pump. When I turn the knob the wipers move only halfway. I have to keep screwing around with the knob. I assume the motor has to come out? Will a cleaning do it or is there a rebuild kit available?
I also need a top quality car cover. Any suggestions?
Much thanks
austin5517 from north jersey

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum. Cool looking ride. No idea about kits. Others with experience with vacuum operated subsystems should have some advice soon.

In the meantime, if you don't have one, get a Ford (not Chilton, not Haynes) OEM Factory Service Manual. At least this outfit should have some in stock as well as listings on eBay. I get a lot of value from the electronic and hard copy versions.

I have a CoverKing on the big Ford in my sig. Not cheap, but worth it.

Kevin

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the FFO!

Issues can be ...
Vacuum leaks - rotted hoses, poor connections or ?
Binding linkage
Wiper switch
wiper motor
Vacuum leaks

The vacuum signal you have is good. The most typical issues are vacuum leaks.

Oh may be I stated that before, vacuum leaks. ;)

>>>>>>Action

#4 ·
I'd disconnect the linkage from the vacuum motor and see how the wipers work when you move them by hand. The see if the motor function--without the linkage attached. The problem could be insects inside the vacuum motor. Pretty simple to take apart, clean and reassemble. New and re-manufactured vacuum motors are available. Should be an easy fix.
Nice looking Falcon. Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted as to progress and problems.

#5 ·
View attachment 24761 Greetings
I just bought a 61 Falcon station wagon. Am posting pix. I'll be needing some advice on repairs. The first thing I need is how to get the wipers working. Have about 16-17" of vacuum at the vacuum thing near the fuel pump. When I turn the knob the wipers move only halfway. I have to keep screwing around with the knob. I assume the motor has to come out? Will a cleaning do it or is there a rebuild kit available?
I also need a top quality car cover. Any suggestions?
Much thanks
austin5517 from north jersey
Welcome to the Forum. Cool looking ride. No idea about kits. Others with experience with vacuum operated subsystems should have some advice soon.

In the meantime, if you don't have one, get a Ford (not Chilton, not Haynes) OEM Factory Service Manual. At least this outfit should have some in stock as well as listings on eBay. I get a lot of value from the electronic and hard copy versions.

Kevin

Kevin
Thanks to all for the welcome, and quick response. Am getting started on the wipers right away, and I will buy a cover for it within a few days. Will be chatting with all of you in the very near future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.