1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

New to the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Glenn Gilbert, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Glenn Gilbert

Glenn Gilbert New Member

Hello Everyone,
    New to this forum. Been a Ford fan since my first car in 1977. A 1965 Ford Mustang 6 cylinder. Since then to present it has been mostly Fords in our Family. We have a 93 F150, 2004 F250, 99 Expedition and 2013 Taurus.

I do have a question. Next weekend I am picking up a 1959 Ford Galaxie that has been sitting in a garage for the last 17 years. The car is 2 hours away. The tires are rotted. My question is will standard trailer wheels fit on the fairlane? I need to put something on the car to get it on the trailer. The trailer wheels are 15”. I know the pattern is the same.
    I just didn’t want to get down there and the wheels not fit.

Thanks in advance for any insight on the wheels working or not.
    Glenn
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

I believe the '59 has 15" in diameter 5 hole wheels. Not sure if the pattern is the same as not sure what a standard trailer wheel might be like.

>>>>>>>Action
  3. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Welcome to the Forum
  4. redrag

redrag Active Member

59 fairlane galaxie used 14 inch wheels. i have a set i got to use on my 63, but they don't fit my car.
  5. pkevins

pkevins Active Member Respected Member

Yes, 14" and same bolt pattern, but the "rim type" in the '59 FSM is listed as "5.0-K" and in the '63 (Supplement) as "Ledge 5.5" ("Special 6.0" for the station wagon). Do the codes indicate more than rim width?

OP - As indicated above, it can be more than just the bolt pattern; i.e., it's a crapshoot if/how they'll fit.
    Welcome to FFO.

Kevin
  6. redrag

redrag Active Member

i know the 59 wheels interfered with the brake drums on the 63
  7. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Either case the 14" rims needed can not be met by the 15" trailer wheels that the user has.

For rotten tires on a vehicle that is going on a trailer. I have in the past just gotten a winch and dragged the vehicle onto the trailer. It is a crude combo of cheap and gets the job done.

Speaking of trailers ... a full sized '59 is to heavy for U-Haul. If they know you are loading a '59 Galaxie they will not rent the car hauling trailer to you. And I have hauled a 1975 Lincoln Continental 4 door on one with 2 flats for 200 miles. Yes I was nervous. And no I did not tell them.

Both statements above are from my experiences.

>>>>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. redrag

redrag Active Member

i hear ya