1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

oil pump varieties. 95 e150 5.0

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by dudeguything, Apr 18, 2018.

1. dudeguything

dudeguything Member

so it was suggested to look into getting a new oil pump for the rebuilt engine im having swapped in.

standard, high volume and high pressure were my choices at the parts store.

i dont wanna go overkill but ill take any performance upgrade i can afford. i might be towing a trailer at some point so i might need it as i plan on doing many miles across country. maybe even across the world..
  2. redrag

redrag Active Member

my vote... high volume. don't need more pressure.
    dudeguything likes this.
  3. dudeguything

dudeguything Member

whys that
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Some time ago I would have suggested high volume also. However if the oil drain backs are restricted then it is possible to oil starve an engine. Brand new or rebuilt engine then you should be OK. Stock oil pressure required is like between 15 and 40. Pressure is a function of clearances.

High RPM Engine needs a high pressure oil pump. High RPM as in greater than 4000 RPM.

>>>>>>>Action
    dudeguything likes this.
  5. dudeguything

dudeguything Member

so you mean high volume would be good for rebuilt? i was told it could help.with towing
  6. redrag

redrag Active Member

high volume pump is capable of moving more oil than standard. it won't be different unless the restriction to flow decreases. so if the engine wears, there is no loss of pressure from insufficient volume
    dudeguything likes this.
  7. 70XL

70XL Active Member

If it is a stock rebuild, as has been described in the other posts, then a stock oil pump is probably the best choice. I have heard most often than high volume pumps may have shorter life spans, at least in part because they pump higher volumes because they have larger lobes, which is said can lead to a shorter life span. The larger the lobes the greater strain on the drive mechanism, the distributor, shaft, gear, etc. That could be total bunk, but it seems to be a more common commentary. If there is not a high lift cam, stiff valve springs and higher RPM operating range, then a stock volume and pressure oil pump should be great for longevity and reliability.
    dudeguything likes this.
  8. dudeguything

dudeguything Member

sounds like high volume is a good idea if im low on oil
  9. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Low on oil?????

A high volume pump moves more oil than any other pump. (By definition) So it is the pump that is sensitive to oil starvation. If the crankcase is low on oil a high volume pump could run out of oil to move. Causing oil pump damage. More so that with other pumps make sure the crankcase is full, the thermostat works well to heat up the engine quick. And service the oil/filter and cooling system so neither system has build up of debris restricting fluid flow.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    dudeguything likes this.