1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Passenger power window regulator

Discussion in 'Ford Vans' started by Otter, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Otter

Otter New Member

Hello all
    I have a '91 club wagon and the passenger side window won't go down. The previous owner said the regulator was bad. I can't seem to find regulators for my year of van. Is this something I should look for at a wrecking yard or buy new? Are there any tips or tricks on how to do this repair?

Thanks
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The regulator is inside the door. I would recommend confirming this is the issue before seeking to obtain parts.

The other question would be power or manual window?

A window regulator for 1988 to 1991 would be the same. Assuming an Econoline and the same side as the one you seek. Earlier years may work as well. Just not sure.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Otter likes this.
  3. Action

Currently there is a brand new FORD power window regulator for the right side. There may be more and I only searched for 1991 Econoline

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-19...ash=item239c0ef542:g:9AkAAOSwZYtamGGn&vxp=mtr

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Otter likes this.
  4. Otter

Otter New Member

I will be verifying that is the issue before buying parts.
    They are power windows. I here the motor going but there isn't any movement in the window. I wish I could convert it to manual. One less electrical issue.

Thanks
  5. Action

Motor making sound is likely NOT a regulator issue.

It is likely a window motor gear set that is stripped. Or even more likely a set of safety plastic parts that are supposed to break if the window comes across an object when closing. These plastic parts fall apart over time because the plastic crumbles. Here is a repair kit that will do two windows for about $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1997-...ash=item4b3f5b785f:g:AwAAAOxy4YdTWZUi&vxp=mtr

It is a common issue (not just for Econoline for many FLM products dating back to the 1960s) and repaired rather easily. There are 3 plastic balls or window motor clutch pieces. The hardest part is getting the window motor out. If it is the first time you will have to cut small holes in the inner steel door panel after you have removed the trip panel.

In the really old days I have used metal nuts with silicone glue to install in the gear set. A rather crude and effective fix. Now the after market supplies rebuild kits. These replacements will last 10 to 20 years and then it will have to be done again.

In my 1990 E 150, I was rather swift in window motor removal. After cutting the access holes I could R&R a motor in under 20 minutes.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
    Otter likes this.
  6. Action

A lot cheaper than replacing a regulator.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action