1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

PCM - PCM RELAY PROBLEM ??

Discussion in 'Ford Crown Victoria' started by Oriley, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Oriley

Oriley New Member

1998 Crown Vic LX
    36,900 miles
    Bought 12-19-17

Bought this at auction, car was in garage ~3 years. It has a battery maintainer, radio presets still set so I think it has had power all this time, battery is still strong.

Car was towed here then I had it running maybe 2 hours checking things out, purrs like a kitten. When I went to restart it still hot when the keys was on "on" the radio blared, lights blinked and heater came on - all this for maybe 5 seconds then it wouldn't start. Cranks fine but no start. Since then I have started it a dozen+ times and it fires right up.

Yesterday I had it running maybe an hour and when I put it in gear to drive in I noticed the doors didn't lock like they usually do. Hmmm - shut it off and when I move the key to "on" the heater blower came on for ~5 seconds then shuts off, cranks but wouldn't start again. Today it started just fine.

I'm lost. I bought a cheap Actron CP9125 reader and it shows "0 Codes" and the check engine light does go out after starting it.

Another gent suggested getting some electrical cleaner and look at the relays under the hood, I'll do that tomorrow.

Beautiful car and everything works fine except for this occasional electrical gremlin. I can't drive it just yet, no title or license (long story) but I'd love to fix this.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

You want to isolate the issue. Either fuel or spark. When the issue is presented, turn off all sound makers and listen for the fuel pump. And test for fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Or every time you start the engine, turn key to just the on position and listen with everything off. Then crank engine.

Intermittent concerns are one of the hardest to diagnose.

>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Oriley

Oriley New Member

Thanks for the welcome. :)

When this happens it almost starts, so it's firing, then it just turns over. I'll listen for the fuel pump next time.

Before I turn a vehicle off I always turn off the accessories first so that is why I wonder when this happens they come on for ~5 seconds.

I'll have to look into checking the fuel pressure, maybe buy new toys for that?

I already bought a new battery so I'll throw that in then take a peek at the relays under the hood.

Thanks again.
    Action likes this.