1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Question on ammeter indication on 2002 E150

Discussion in 'Ford Vans' started by MI_THer, Apr 25, 2018.

1. MI_THer

MI_THer New Member

Van Gauges.jpg Just picked up a 2002 E150 conversion van with about 128K miles on it and had a question on the ammeter reading while driving . . . . I am used to seeing it sit in the middle of the gauge but mine is reading more at the 3/4 position (see attached photo of the dash). Does this look to be normal or is there something you woudl recommend checking? Bought the van from the second owner who had it since 2005.

Thanks in advance for any input . . .
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

The charging system gauge you are referring to is a voltmeter . (N0t an ammeter) The different being current flow (Ammeter) and current pressure or operating (volts).

The spread on your gauge is from 8 to 18 volts. Considering there is oil pressure I assume the engine is running. Running voltage should be 13 high to 14 low volts. Gauge looks good. And your owners manual will have more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. MI_THer

MI_THer New Member

Thanks for the response ., .. . sorry, meant voltmeter . . . it just seemed to running higher than I had seen on previous vans . . . so the indication in the picture looks to be acceptable (picture was taken at night with the headlights on and engine running in the driveway)
  4. Action

No worries.

I think you are good. And if you want to take it a step further. (Because those gauges are just not that accurate) Clip a voltmeter to the battery. Post voltages (with everything off) at idle and at 2000 RPM on a warmed up engine.

At idle voltage should be in the mid to high 13s
    At 2000 engine RPM voltage should be in the low to mid 14s

Lower than that may be a charging issue
    Higher than that will cook the battery over the long haul

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Action