1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Questions about 1978 fairmont

Discussion in 'Ford Fairmont' started by The_Kid, Nov 29, 2017.

1. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Hello everybody, i'm looking at picking up a 78 fairmont 4 door 3.3 inline 6 for 500 and i have a couple of questions for mods to the engine. i also include a pic of the car

#1, does anyone know where i can get a 3x2 bbl intake manifold or a 2x4 bbl intake manifold. also were can i find a good header for the engine. (if i get it i'm going to make a custom exhaust)
    #2, can rear station wagon springs fit in the rear of a 4 door (not important)
    #3, what is the best cam for the inline 6
    #4, can the engine take nos. also can the engine take boost (some at least)

fairmont.JPG
  2. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

fordsix.com

Kevin
    Stymees'mont likes this.
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

Nice Box Top. There are a few others here that have one.

The 3.3 wasn't the strongest engine. In addition to a cam change you may want to consider a cylinder head change as well. The multiple carbs is too much for that engine. The engine will not be able to handle that type of intake flow. ESPECIALLY given the engine mods the factory did to get that engine to comply with CAFE. In addition you will need a new transmission and rear axle to handle the added HP.

If you are going to dump that kind of effort and cash into making the Fairmont go faster. (At least that is what I assume you want to do.) Why don't you drop in a 5.0l. The vehicle was built to accept a 5.0l and that engine family is readily available.

Yes you will need new springs especially if you start adding weight. (And 30 year old springs are almost at the end of their service life anyway)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. Action

ZephyrEFI likes this.
  5. ZephyrEFI

ZephyrEFI Well-Known Member Respected Member

Welcome! Great starting point! I do love 10-holes (your wheels) on a Fairmont too.

The thing I'd recommend you do before you even do anything else is swap the rear gear ratio. Mine came with a 2.73 and i think that's about the best you could get on an F/Z. I've seen factory V8 cars with a 2.26!! LAME. Get yourself a proper 3.73 or 4.10.

Also, you might have a 6.75 rear axle (mine did). If so, don't bother looking for different gear set for it (they are hard to find), swap to an 8.8. You may also have a 7.5 though, and gears can be found for those.

I appreciate your wanting to hop up the 6, but in the end it will cost you way less money and trouble going to a 302. I still kind of want to do a 351, but the 302 is just so much easier and cheaper.

If you're stuck on the 6 though, here's a guy who built the best damn 6-powered Fairmont there is.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthr...ura-(The-Gila-Monster)&highlight=gila+monster
    Stymees'mont and Action like this.
  6. Action

Z,

Thanks for the post. I knew you are the man to tackle this request.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aciton
  7. Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont Moderator Staff Member

Welcome !

Glade to see you want different and yes as the other guys pointed out on the power build info on the six....a V8 swap is easy and cheap.
    You can even use the the K memeber that is currently in your car.
    Of course...there are several things to consider changing to a v8....springs and cooling....etc. But also brakes and rear end. Adding HP is Awsome but if you can't stop or start breaking rearends and what everelse things can get dangerous and ugly .
    Action likes this.
  8. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher New Member

Why not just pull the motor and put a V8 in there? I am sure you could still find a 302 out of a mustang somewhere and put Nitrous on it. With the right rear end and transmission you could have a 11 second sleeper car.