1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1. Peter-Thor

Peter-Thor New Member

Hi folks...I just picked up a '69 Fairlane 500 with a 351 auto. C4?. I am pulling the Diff. as it has a growl I think a tooth is missing from the crown or pinion..or maybe a pinion brg.
    My question is can I swap a 9" into the 8" housing..what about axels..suspension...thanks for your advice
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

The answer to your question is NO!
    For more info on a Ford 0 inch than you want go here.
    http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Peter-Thor

Peter-Thor New Member

thanks Moderator, so my second question is. I am not into drag racing or building up too many horses, maybe headers dual exhaust better air intake will the 8" serve me well.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

If that is what came with it when it was built, the answer is yes. Most everything was over built back then. Old technology was to ad most metal not make more precise.

In addition you won't create much greater power. With exhaust an intake changes it will breathe better, you might like the sound however there won't be much more power. You will have a u joint failure or a C4 transmission failure before you damage the rear axle.

>>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018