1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

speedometer issues

Discussion in 'Ford E-Series' started by mike73, Apr 19, 2015.

1. mike73

mike73 New Member

I Have A 94 E-150 Club Wagon Xlt. Speedometer Is Jumping All Around And Abs Light Is On. I've Changed The Vss And Connector. Still Has Same Problems. Drained Rear End And Check Teeth On Trigger Wheel And All Teeth Were Fine. I Checked The Connector With A Mutimeter And It Read 4.06 With Key In On Postion And 5.45 With Engine Running. Any Ideas On What Else Would Cause My Problems?
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

These may not be related concerns.
    Many times the speedo jumping is because a speedometer cable issue. A '94 unit may still have a cable versus an electronic speed sensor.

The ABS is electronic and has a self test outlined in the shop manual . First -
    The yellow abs light is on continously or flashing?
    Is red brake light on too? Or off?
    How many miles on vehicle?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. mike73

mike73 New Member

Has 130000 Miles On It. It Has One Sensor In Top Of Diffential.No Speedometer Cable. After Researching Found That The Sensor Runs Abs Speedo etc.ote="Action, post: 69338, member: 10012"]These may not be related concerns.
    Many times the speedo jumping is because a speedometer cable issue. A '94 unit may still have a cable versus an electronic speed sensor.

The ABS is electronic and has a self test outlined in the shop manual . First -
    The yellow abs light is on continously or flashing?
    Is red brake light on too? Or off?
    How many miles on vehicle?

>>>>>>>>>>Action[/quote]
    has
  4. mike73

mike73 New Member

The Red Brake Light Is Not On. Yellow Abs Light Only. Speedo Is Electronic
  5. Action

Next step is to obtain flashout code with key on and ABS light on, trans in park. Find the diag connector jump the black/orange wire to ground for one moment, then the abs light will begin to flash. There will be a series of short flashes ending with one long flash. Count all of the flashes and that is the code. Example 3 short flashes followed by the long flash ....... this is a 4. This coding will repeat until the key is turned off. Know that there is no code 1 and no code 16. Do repeat the process several times to know that you have the code correct.

Would suggest getting a shop manual as well. Or you can post your result.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  6. mike73

mike73 New Member

I'Ll Try That. Thx. When I Checked The Gears In The Rear End I Found A Round Flat Piece Of Metal In The Bottom Of The Housing. The Rear End Has Never Made Any Sounds Or Showed Any Signs Of A Problem Other Than The SpeedometEr Jumping And Abs Light Staying On. Abs Light Went Out For About A Block When I First Checked The Connection To The Vss. It Came Right Back On. Oh And When Abs Light Went Off Red Brake Light Came On But Went Out When Abs Came Back on
  7. mike73

mike73 New Member

The Piece Kinda Looks Like It Would Maybe Be A Spacer Or Something Of That Sort. Can'T See Anything Where It Could Have Broke Off. Is There A Spacer Between The Trigger Wheel And The Sensor?
  8. Action

Is it a magnet? Would you post a picture?

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  9. mike73

mike73 New Member

image.jpg
  10. Action

YIKES!!!! That isn't a good thing. That piece has seen a bit of stress. It could be a foreign object that got in there at assembly. (That wouldn' be a first)

My concern is if what ever that object is, has it caused any damage to other internal parts?
    You have examined the triger wheel and sensor?
    Any signs of damage to the interior to the housing?

>>>>Action
  11. mike73

mike73 New Member

Yes inspected gears and spun tires with cover off no damage that I can see. Gears turn smooth no grinding clacking or anything. No play in the gears either. Just speedometer still jumping which when bad enough down shifts transmission. No bounce no down shift.
  12. Action

Isn't the vehicle speed is taken from the sensor out of the tranny?

Not only would that sensor be an issue, the electrical connector at that sensor has been a concern in some models. Broken or breaking wires.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  13. mike73

mike73 New Member

There is no sensor in the tranny. One sensor in top of differential controls it all. It's been changed and the connector to it.
  14. Action

I am at a loss. I am not that familar with the system as my 1990 E 150 and mid-1990 cars pick up the signal differently and I do not have a shop manual for that generation of E 150s.

>>>>>>>>>Action
  15. Kw1982

Kw1982 New Member

Wondering if you solved this problem I am having the same issue with my 95 e350.